This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Inspiration is the key.

I was so excited to be asked by Rhonda to join the Simple Green Frugal Co-op, not just because I think it's a terrific project, destined to become a wonderful resource to many, many people, but also because I am humbled to be among other writers who inspire me on a daily basis: to think more, do more, learn more.

This is without doubt a difficult time in our world, and everything I read points towards greater challenges for us in the near future. There's a lot to be done and it can feel quite daunting and even depressing for me at times, but I feel that it is inspiration that is the key to effecting - dare I say it? - global change. What better way to do that than by offering the experiences of simple, every day people, trying to live their lives more simply, peacefully, frugally, and step lightly upon the earth?

As for me, I am a reformed career-driven, McMansion-seeking, stuff-accumulating mother of three, trying to negotiate a way to live lightly (and more authentically) in our average suburban home. I believe that those amongst the hardest hit by events as they unfold in the near future are the city dwellers, but I also believe that it is possible to learn skills and (re)build a new sense of community within these urban areas that can form the basis of a new, sustainable future. So I'm plugging away a little each day, teaching myself to knit and sew, refashion new clothing from old, cook from scratch, grow vegetables in our backyard, and in turn, teaching my kids how to respect the earth (and each other).

I very much look forward to being a part of this Co-op :-)

Julie
Towards Sustainability

5 comments:

Frogdancer said...

Oh good! You sound a bit like me.
Divorced mother of 4 boys, working full-time and paying off a little house in the suburbs, learning to quilt and sew. (Um... that was me, not you!!!)
I'm looking for ward to reading this blog.

rhonda jean said...

Great first post, Julie. I know your posts will add a lot here. I'm looking forward to reading what you come up with next.

Catz said...

Hello Julie!
I will be looking out for any posts on re-fashioning old clothes! Something my Mother used to do!

Eilleen said...

Hey Julie! Ah you know, I still look back on my career-driven McMansion days and think "was that really me??!" I really do enjoy reading your blog and I know that I will enjoy reading your articles here too.

Melinda said...

Such a pleasure to see you here. : ) I'm looking forward to it as well.