This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

wait, don't throw it out yet!

Posted by Heather
Beauty That Moves
Over the next few days I will be moving a small handful of relevant posts from the archives of my other blog. I think most of us are going to do this. This will serve two purposes, it will of course build an immediate and interesting selection of content to this site, as well as offer a deeper glance into the ideas, interests, and personality of each writer.

I find tremendous satisfaction in giving new life to an object that has been cast aside. Often not because the item is used up or broken, but because myself or someone else has simply become bored with it. I dug up a post from my early days of blogging, it represents one of the simplest yet most talked about projects I have ever completed, I hope you enjoy it! You may click on the photo for a closer look.

This easy project was all about making due on less and not missing out in the least.

Looking for an easy and affordable way to transform an ugly but sturdy piece of furniture? This table was once a beechwood dining set circa 1995. I had grown tired of the style and it didn't match our new home at all. When we purchased this house and began renovating, we didn't have an extra $1,000 to replace our dining room with all of the other projects ($$$) going on. I did scrape up about twenty dollars and went to town on this transformation. I printed vintage photos on regular printer paper (not expensive photo paper) of our historic Thread City mill town off of the internet (free), tore the photos so all the edges were tattered looking... broke out the modge podge and secured the photos to table top, wrapping them around the edges... I used an antiquing craft gel across the surface...applied 3 coats of urethane (NOT glossy)...painted the table base and chairs with antique black paint... and I was done!


It always intrigues people and starts conversations. $20! You just can't beat that.

10 comments:

Julie said...

Hi Heather,
I'm a big fan of your blog so I am very much looking forward to reading some of your old posts :-) Your table is sensational, it's amazing what a bit of ingenuity will produce!

Cheers, Julie

Anonymous said...

Wow Heather,

This is great, makes me rethink a couple of items of old furniture that were going to charity maybe they have another life after all and saves me spending money!
Cheers
Virginia K

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather,

The table looks great. I have an old one that I was going to mosaic but I might change my mind! Does it withstand the 'brutalness' of kids and wear well?

Regards, Bronwyn.

P~ said...

Heather The table is beautiful! Thanks for broaching the subject of reuse, it's one near and dear to me. I'm going to follow your lead and post a similar one myself.
Looking forward to more from you.
P~

heather said...

*******************

thanks everyone!

bronwyn,

as long as you use a urethane that you trust and plenty of it, it holds up very well. i've had no problems. you could even use more than 3 coats of urethane. just be somewhat gentle with it the first couple of weeks (just as you would a newly refinished wood floor) as there is a 'curing' time involved so the urethane can harden properly.

p - near and dear to me as well. i think most people would be fine with reusing if they just had some inspiration for how to revitalize something! i look forward to you words on the subject. :)

*************************

Tammie said...

this is a great idea and gorgeous....and at only $20---you gotta love it!!

jessieearthmomma said...

Heather,
This is amazing! I would love to do that! You've got my wheels spinning.
Love, Jessie

dan said...

That is a cool table and idea.

Along the same lines, my wife is an amateur photographer and took a lamp shade and glued and stiched strips of negatives of shots she took around town. It spiced up the ordinary white lamp shade and is a conversation piece.

Keep up the good ideas.

Carolyn said...

Love that table. Great Idea!

Teresa said...

Thanks for sharing. This is a great idea.