This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

warmth, a basic need

Heather
Beauty That Moves
If you are like me and are very much a beginner when it comes to knitting, you might appreciate this post. I have the most basic knitting skills imaginable. I aspire to someday whip up delicate sweaters for my daughter, and cozy, durable socks for my husband. Up until recently my skills and knitting experience had never moved beyond making a simple scarf. With winter coming and our plans to keep the heat turned down a few degrees this year, I knew my family would need some extra things to keep warm. I decided to stretch and grow my freshman knitting, not quite a sophomore yet... we'll call this summer school. I set about knitting myself a couple of simple rectangles, folded them each in half lengthwise, and sewed them up the side leaving a hole for the thumb. It couldn't be any simpler, I will give basic instructions at the end of the post.
My hands get cold easily and I love how practical fingerless gloves can be. Wearing these gloves I can sew, fold laundry, put away dishes, tidy, vacuum, play with my daughter, knit, embroider, unpack groceries, write, start a fire in the fireplace, make the bed, play cards... so many things. It's a little difficult to cook or wash dishes, but I have noticed they really do stay on my hands for much of the day.

If you plan on making some simple, handmade gifts this holiday holiday season you may want to add this idea to your list. The gloves use a small amount of yarn making them economical and they do knit up quickly. There are of course far more interesting patterns and styles to be found on the internet, but these were made with the beginning knitter in mind.

You will need:
-size 5 needles
-1 ball (120 yards) worsted weight yarn - wool is warmest
-yarn needle with large eye

Directions:
-cast on 34 stitches for adult small/medium
-knit until it is 8 inches in length -garter stitch
-cast off as neatly as possible, weave in the yarn end
-thread the yarn needle with yarn, an arms length.
-fold in half lengthwise and sew up the side leaving an opening where you would like the thumb to be. I prefer the glove to reach over my first knuckles, that is how I gauge where I want my thumb hole to be. Finish the seam and turn right side out, repeat to the other glove, you're done!

Here is a useful link as I am sure my instructions could use a little enhancement by knitters who are far more experienced...


I hope you enjoy this simple idea. I'm imagining these little gloves warming busy, working hands all over the world...

My husband's Grandmother is a homesteader. She told me once that the more she can do for herself, the safer she feels. I really understand what she means by that, I imagine many of you do as well.

23 comments:

Midnightsky Fibers said...

I think you mean garter ridges (the bumps) and not 40 rows- which would only have 20 ridges and be pretty short.

Posh And Trendy said...

I'm a self taught knitter myself and you'd be surprised how fast you learn to do anything. Years ago I use to make all my husband's and children's sweaters. Now my hands give me too much trouble to do as much but I still knit once in a while...

heather said...

thanks midnightsky - i am such a beginner. goes to show if i can produce this anyone can! :)

Tasha-Rose said...

I make these too, but I crochet them. A great warm and cozy for the chilling of the season!! Thansk for this post!

Amber@MMM said...

I began trying to teach myself to knit about a year and a half ago because I wanted wool longies/shorites for my girl.

I found a crochet pattern and never picked up the knitting needles again.

This, however, looks doable. Thanks for posting!

Sharon J said...

Another self taught knitter here and can vouch for the truth in how quickly you learn. One successful project soon leads to another which lead to another and so forth. Now I can follow any pattern I find and am able to make up my own. At the moment I'm busy knitting socks for my daughter and her partner who live in Norway where winters are VRRY cold.

Funnily enough, I've never been able to get on with wrist warmers. I'm not sure what it is about them that I don't like so maybe I'll try some again and see how I go.

han_ysic said...

Definately trying these
Hannah

Bovey Belle said...

I wish I could magic up a pair right now, as we only have our heating on for a couple of hours late afternoon, so mornings are COLD!

Greentwinsmummy said...

***My husband's Grandmother is a homesteader. She told me once that the more she can do for herself, the safer she feels.***

gosh that sums it up SO perfectly :o)

Love the wrist warmers,I am a newbie knitter :o)
GTM x x x

pebbledash said...

Hi Heather, I'm a new knitter too.... there are two easy patterns (free pdf downloads) at http://a-friend-to-knit-with.blogspot.com/ see in the side bar for 'toast' and 'toasty'. I've done the ones without thumbs, so next the ones with thumbs!! Happy knitting.
D x

Meredith said...

Love this idea...and it's right where my skills lie too!! Thanks Heather!!

Ways of Zion said...

I completely agree with your hubby's grandmother...I feel the same way!

annette said...

I just love those gloves! I cannot knit worth a lick yet can crochet like there is no tomorrow. Thank you for the inspriation - I shall find a crochet pattern via the web and post my little hand warmers soon! =)

Simbelmyne said...

those look so nice and warm...Especially with the mug.

Dawna said...

What a fabulous idea! There may be a short cold season in my neck of the woods but for those chilly evenings when, despite the nip in the air, I still can't pull myself off the lanai, they'd be perfect! Plus, you know all the trouble I have with my hands, these would certainly bring welcome comfort. Christmas is just around the corner you know. I'm just saying...

Willow said...

Hi Heather, I've just discovered your blog and I love it! I'm definitely going to try these gloves, as I think they will be perfect for when I'm grooming horses at the stables in the winter! Thank you!!
Willow x

rhonda jean said...

Heather, I love this post. It shows how simple knitting a functional garment really is. BTW, I also love the grey wool, I adore grey.

Tammie said...

i love this post. i so wish i could knit. i tried to teach myself a few years ago and got frustrated.

i think a lot of women of my generation(i'm in my early 30's) grew up with moms who didn't care about knitting, sewing, cooking, etc...i'm learning(or have learned) all these things as i go and i don't really have a teacher. it's sad really.

Number 4 said...

I have been thinking lately that I would like to learn knitting and re-learn crochet, and this project is the perfect inspiration to make me get up and do so. They are lovely!

notesfromthefrugaltrenches.com said...

What a great post! I plan to start this tonight! I too am basic, never got beyond knitting in a basic line and still can't cast on or off!!

All things bright and beautiful... said...

Heather - I have only just found your blog - it's lovely - love these & am going to give them a try!
Lynn

Amanda said...

Thank you for this post. I am a beginner- I've made exactly 3 dish clothes- and am looking for my next project. This is it!!!

Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage said...

I knitted a pair of these for myself, one for my son and one for each of my daughters. I love mine.

I have already made a pair for my mother-in-law for Christmas 2010.

Thank you for sharing the idea with us. I've posted about it in my blog. I've also linked to your post in my sidebar.

Here's the link:

http://simple-green-frugal-co-op.blogspot.com/

Thanks so much!
Laura