This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Getting out the cave...

by
Eilleen
Consumption Rebellion


I was reviewing some of my older posts in my personal blog tonight and came across this one that I thought I'd share.

I published this article quite early in my journey to live a greener life. It was at a time when I was questioning whether my little changes were really making any impact. At the time, I had posted my feelings of discouragement in a discussion forum I occasionally go to. A person wrote this to me in response. I do not know this person's real name but I did gain her permission to publish her reply.

To my regret, I have not "seen" that person again in that discussion forum or anywhere else on the Internet after she agreed to let me publish it. However, I am forever thankful to that person for giving me something that I can gain strength from when I start thinking of giving up...

The arguments for doing nothing will always be with us:

In politics ("All politicians lie."),
in economics ("There will always be poor people."),
in law ("Sure the judicial system is imperfect, just like everything else."),
in business ("The market forces will correct it."),
in society ("What are you, a Johnny Do-Gooder?"),
in the military ("War is Hell. That's what happens."),
in environmentalism ("The Earth is constantly changing."),
the list goes on and on.

We now have elected representatives instead of Kings.
We now have capitalism instead of slavery and feudalism.
We now have a jury of our peers with due process instead of an Inquisition.
We now have the SEC and the BBB instead of Robber Barons.
We now have charities and social services instead of debtor's prisons.
We now have battlefield Corpsmen instead of a reading of the Last Rights and a splash of Holy Water.
We now have anti-pollution regulations instead of the Dickensian London smog.

We got out of the caves because we refused to listen to these arguments.

There will come a time when Mankind looks back upon our time as if we had lived in caves. And they will have progressed to where they are because of a long line of people who refused to do nothing.

There is always a better way.

2 comments:

Green Bean said...

Great point. Where we are is a much better place than where we were but not as great a place as where we're going. I firmly believe this, especially with regard to civil rights issues like gay marriage.

Kate in NJ said...

So simple, and yet so true.