This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

All Natural Cleaning Supply Basket - As a Gift!

Heather
Beauty That Moves
Spring has sprung here in the Northern Hemisphere! I think in my next post I will share a little bit about our vegetable garden attempts on this little urban homestead. You may have noticed most of my writing here at the co-op reflects the simple life within the home. For me, it is important to embrace and work with what I have rather than to ignore simple living until the right plot of land comes along. So I tend to bring a lot of topics from the kitchen, the laundry room, and the craft room. These are the areas where I can make the most difference in the simplicity as well as the vibrancy of our day to day living.

This time of year always seems to bring with it many invitations to gatherings that gift giving is a part of. It always makes me feel so conflicted. While it is wonderful to give something special, I have a really difficult time with the stuff that takes over these sort of occasions. As I was restocking my own cleaning supplies over the weekend, I thought... what a lovely Bridal Shower, Birthday, or Mother's Day gift a homemade, all natural cleaning supplies basket would be!

Now, I know you are all a pretty easy audience, each of you would be thrilled with such a gift! But what about other people? Not everyone spends their afternoon searching the web for green and frugal living ideas, hard to believe but true! Here's what I think... I think people from all walks of life are waking up. I think even your girlfriend with her weekly pedicures, who has the perfect haircut and correct handbag is becoming tired of overspending, over consuming and exposing loved ones to harsh chemicals. I think such a person would actually appreciate the help in getting started on this path. And I really do believe we each start with one single step. Why not let that first step be cleaning supplies? It'll cost you next to nothing to put this together. I had the basket already on hand (I tend to pick up extra baskets when thrifting to keep on hand). I made the labels with permanent colored marker and covered them with clear packing tape for extra protection. Of course something created on the computer would be great too.

Don't forget to include all of the recipes with your cleaning kit, this is the most important part! (I happened to have some very old self-laminating supplies here at home, so these are laminated.) By doing so, you have not only provided a friend with the inspiration to be a little greener, you have empowered them with the simple tools and information to carry on with this practice for years to come. Maybe you could even include your favorite list of simple living resources on the web!

All of my recipes are variations of the ones Rhonda provides on her website. I add essential oils to my supplies, a personal preference.


I hope you find this idea useful, and perhaps it'll produce a few spin-off ideas of your own - do share!! I always appreciate your ideas...

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just curious - what's the white stuff in the jar - looks like coconut oil to me???? Is that baking soda in the small jar????

I think this is a wonderful idea - I would be thrilled!

Charlene in VA

heather said...

sorry - i didn't label that one! it's laundry detergent... the small jar is a sink scrub. baking soda and coarse salt mixed 50/50 plus i add some essential oil.

Margo said...

Fantastic idea - thanks for sharing!

SentimentsbyDenise said...

What a great idea!

Red Fern said...

I like that idea! Sometimes folks don't join the green wagon because it seems to foreign/difficult/overwhelming. This is a great way to help folks get started on a good path.

Rachel B said...

I love this!!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea thanks for sharing Regards ELLIE

Tammie said...

this is such a good idea!

i recently gave my best friend some of the homemade laundry detergent that was mentioned here a few months back and she loved it! if i were to surprise her with a whole basket of homemade cleaning supplies im sure she'd flip. (we are definitely easy to please.)

lizzylanefarm said...

Giving these gifts is a great idea and way to teach others, they and esp. the recipe are great tools to get the receiver thinking. You have done the hard part of putting everything together for them and the easy part is using them.

Very pretty basket! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Karyn

Chiot's Run said...

Great idea, I'm doing this for our homemade Christmas this year.

Debbie said...

I am also using all these smart alternatives for cleaning and this is a wonderful idea for a gift.I now am looking for something natural to use to wash my face and a natural moisturizer. Can you suggest something?

linda said...

This would make great housewarming gifts. I am intrigued with your bottle of furniture polish. I will go back and check Rhondas recipes, assuming its there?

claudia said...

I think this is a great idea!

theworldismysoyster said...

I love homemade cleaners. Does anyone have a good dishsoap one though? Mine leave something to be desired.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. Thank you for sharing. This Easter I kept back food tins, painted them with metal primer then let the kids loose with a batch of emulsion match pots that have been cluttering the shed. We then filled them with plants to plant on in the garden. The tins can then be used for pens etc.

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I just got an invitation to a bridal shower, was wondering what to give and this is the BEST idea!

Josie

Kayla said...

Thank you for this post. It is an awesome idea.

leena said...

This is indeed a great idea. I would also suggest, if the recipient of the gift is local to you, to include where you bought the ingredients for all the recipes. Obviously something like vinegar is a no-brainer, but I've had trouble finding things like washing soda and borax in the stores I regularly shop at. I'm sure they are sold somewhere in my city, but I haven't found out where yet... having someone gift me that information (and all the other goodies in the basket), would save me time and energy!

Anonymous said...

I love the idea! But please don't laminate paper - it makes it unrecyclable.

Felicia said...

I would love to receive such a useful gift. Great idea :)

heather said...

anonymous -

while i appreciate your point, my thinking is that these protected sheets of paper would last for years (likely my lifetime) while being kept in my cleaning caddy and near supplies being made, close to liquids that could easily damage the recipes causing me to reprint them several times if they were not protected. not really efficient either.

none of this blogs writers OR readers are perfect, but we do work very hard each day to make conscious and wise choices in our individual lives. each of us has a slightly different approach and we feel it is important to support one another here.

feel free to sign your name next time, it makes these sort of comments feel a bit less like an attack.

linda said...

A bowl of vinegar placed in a room will help to kill odors. I use it also to clean my wood cutting board when it begins to smell like onions. I simply pour it on and wait a few minutes then rinse it off, wipe dry and then I condition my board with oil.
Also, vinegar gargle can help ease a sore throat when diluted with warm water at about a 1:3 ratio (more water than vinegar)I use apple cider vinegar for this.

Mara said...

Hello :)

Your cleaning basket looks positively scrumptious! And what a good idea for the labels.

I do think people are slowly beginning to wake up; we are going to get some chickens of our own soon and the man in the library said interest in chicken books had rocketed in the past year. :) It's all good. :)

Mara

Hoosier Homemade said...

What an awesome idea! LOVE IT! I have a perfect friend to make one for.
Thanks for sharing!
~Liz

TidyMom said...

WOW what fantastic ideas!! I love this for a gift idea!!

TidyMom

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding me? I love homemade gifts but I think I would cry if I got a basket of cleaning supplies for mothers day.Your supposed to give a gift of something she enjoys,how about bath salts or a basket of gardening supplies a photo album anything but cleaning supplies

Becky Nelson said...

Do you have the cute cards in a format that can be e-mailed? I would love to make them for my mother. my e-mail is reblenson@yahoo.com. thanks
Becky Nelson

jack said...

i didn't label that one! it's laundry detergent... the small jar is a sink scrub. baking soda and coarse salt mixed 50/50 plus i add some essential oil.
automatic air freshener dispenser