Saturday, 30 May 2009

Our Next Generation

Heather Beauty That Moves


Many years ago, when my now 11 year old daughter was just 2 1/2, my husband entered law school full time. I went from being a full-time stay at home mom to a working out of the house mom... five nights a week. The schedule wasn't terrible, I was able to be home with her during the day and would leave just before 5:00 in the evening. On nights that went according to plan, she would go to bed at about 7:30. All in all, I didn't feel like I was missing that much, and it enabled my husband to pursue his degree.

At some point during that time, as a simple 'dinner' solution (according to my husband), movie night in our home was born (popcorn was the main course) and over the years it has become so much more than just another tradition for our family. It's more of an institution really and is usually only capable of being cancelled for weddings or funerals. It's a serious night around here.

I guess why I am sharing this here on this blog is not because of the inexpensive popcorn that we dine on each Friday night (for years and years now - that's a lot of savings!), or the simple hot cocoa that accompanies (gently heat up some milk in a pan, add a little cocoa powder, vanilla and maple syrup - so easy i can't believe the hot cocoa mix industry even exists!), it's the underlying thoughts and reflections that seem relevant to share and discuss in this space. Nothing fancy is required to make our family movie night happen each Friday, yet we start planning and thinking about it by Tuesday of each week because it is such a highlight for us. Every single one of our friends and family members knows that if it is Friday night, our little gang can be found huddled together with fistfuls of popcorn watching who knows what for probably the tenth time. But we don't care about how many times we've seen the movie, because we are safe and snug together, creating memories and living gently.

I know that when my daughter is grown she will remember our movie nights just as she will remember that we baked our daily bread, that we ate dinner together by candlelight, that our food didn't come from a box but rather the earth and that her mom cooked from scratch, that sometimes I sewed clothes for her, that we grew a little bit of our own food and personally knew the farmers that grew much of the rest, that we tried our best each day as a family to be good stewards of the earth... she will remember all of this and so much more.

I wonder, what homespun and simple living memories will your children or grandchildren take with them as they grow and become our next generation?