This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Garden Fare

Don - A View From the Green Barn

As I was planning out my vegetable garden this year, I was forced to think seriously about what I would plant and why I would plant particular things. How do I choose what I will grow? Since I am relatively new to having a veg garden, I don't have decades of eating and enjoying the "fruits" of my garden, but also I don't have the experience of knowing what is easy to grow and what might prove difficult. As I pored over the millions of seed catalogues and studied various blogs, I started to formulate a plan.

Here is what I came up with for my veg patch this year:

Tomatoes: I have three types of tomatoes, heirloom brandywines, hybrid better boys, and romas. I chose these three because I wanted to see what all the hoopla about the brandywines is all about, the better boys, because they get large and we like to fry them in olive oil while they are green, and the romas, because we like to make salads with tomatoes in them and it just feels good to use a tomato with an Italian name.

Pole beans: I have never tried growing pole beans, I have done the bush variety and we ate a lot of fresh green beans last summer! This year, I decided to do a Three Sisters garden, based on the Chippewa Native Americans' gardening model. I have about ten pole beans in the ground and about two feet long, getting ready to grow up the corn stalks as they shoot skyward.

Squash: This is the third sister of the three mentioned earlier. I have several varieties of squash growing. Most are for eating, some are for craft ideas. I have a yellow squash, some zucchini, two types of pumpkin, one is the Cinderella pumpkin and the other is the typical jack o lantern type. I also have some luffa as well as some birdhouse gourds taking up space.

Peppers: I have a nice variety of peppers growing this year. I have three different types of bell peppers, green, yellow and red. I also have some banana peppers as well as three types of hot peppers. I also am trying to grow some black peppers for my daughter to use in her flower arrangements for her wedding.

Corn: I chose a white and yellow combo sweet corn for the Three Sisters garden. I'll let you know how that turns out. I also have two short rows of popcorn growing way out back. I hope they are far enough apart so the pollen doesn't get mixed up!

Herb bed: Cilantro, parsley, rosemary, basil, marjoram, chives, thyme and sage are all growing happily in the herb bed. I have a dill plant mixed in with the corn and beans. I also have three rows of green onions.

That sounds like a lot of stuff! However, if you are a gardener, you know that you often wish you had planted more of some things and less of others. I have a feeling that I will wish I had planted more sweet corn.

What have you planted this year and how is it going? (or for you all who are down under, how did it go?)

I will give photo updates next time.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Joy of Less
By Pico Iyer

http://happydays.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/07/the-joy-of-less/

risa said...

Boothbys Blonde Slicing Cucumber,
Black Zucchini, Golden Zucchini,
Burpees Butterbush Winter Squash, Connecticut Field Pumpkin, Scarlet Nantes Carrot, Shin Kuroda, Golden Detroit Beet, Cherry Belle Radish,
Bordeaux Spinach, Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce, Hyper Red Rumple Waved Lettuce, Gator Perpetual Spinach or Leaf Beet, Graffiti Cauliflower, Pingtung Long Eggplant, Diamond Eggplant, Early Jalape Hot Pepper, Revolution Sweet Pepper, Rutgers Tomato, Yellow Brandywine Tomato, Aunt Rubys German Green Tomato, Amish Paste Tomato, Sun Gold Cherry Tomato,
Andover Parsnip, Purple Top White Globe Turnip, Early White Vienna Kohlrabi.

The Amish paste, kohlroabi, and parsnips had poor germination. Peas this year look good but are relatively flavorless. All our "perennials -- sunchokes, leeks, walking onions, wintered-over chard, kale, broccoli, and cabbages -- did well. It's not a good plum or apple year but there will be some cherries, a few apples, and some pears.

jaz said...

in one garden i planted pole beans to grow up a teepee bean pole and potatoes around the perimeter of this garden. i planted fennel and a few leftover tomatoes i couldn't find a place for. i have luffahs growing up the arbor over the wisteria. i also have luffahs growing on the fence. in another garden i have more fennel, cilantro, sage, thyme and mint, tomatoes, zucchini, pumpkins, lettuce, broccoli, cabbage and grapes growing on the fence. in my main garden i planted 5 types of tomatoes. some exotic types like peach and zebra. 6 different types of peppers..one row of colored peppers in red, yellow, purple and green. okra, beans, peas, cherry tomatoes, and eggplant. if this all does well i may drown in veggies!

Nikki said...

I've got spinach, lettuce, mesclun, snap peas, broccoli, 4 types of tomatoes, 4 types of sweet peppers and 5 types of hot peppers, bush beans, eggplant, cucumbers, carrots, garlic,and more onions than I'll ever be able to eat. I also have a second garden with vines surrounding sweet corn: pumpkins, winter squash, cantaloupe, and 3 kinds of watermelons. My herb bed has sage, thyme, oregano, cilantro, 2 varieties of basil, dill, 3 kinds of mint, and parsley. I also put in some horseradish crowns but they're not doing very well. This sounds like a lot when I write it all out....but really my gardens aren't that big!

Nikki said...

Oh, and I've also got 3 rows of red potatoes and a few sweet potatoes, plus some zucchini and patty pan squash. :-)

Andres and Julia Stell said...

I have planted sugar snap peas, lettuce, tomatoes, squash, bush beans, cilantro, oregano, basil, rosemary, sage, peppers, zucchini, and cucumbers. You can see my garden blog at:
http://stellhomestead.blogspot.com/

Allison said...

I listed our spring planting here:
http://simply-lally.blogspot.com/2009/04/spring-planting.html

I am still waiting for the ground cherries to grow and think I need to replant. A storm blew over our peas and I am not sure they will right themselves. The weeds are overtaking but all is well. I love garden season and hope to plant a winter garden this year which I have never done before.

livinginalocalzone said...

Thanks for sharing your process. I decided what to plant by looking at what I could get from my CSA and the other local farmers here. Then I looked at what was missing that I really liked to eat. From there, it was pretty easy to decide to plant fewer veg, but to plant the types I couldn't get otherwise. For me, that was okra, unusual varieties of eggplant, and opo squash.
I filled it out with lettuces and other greens, which are often best picked moments before eating, and strawberries (for the fun of it). So far its early, but the strawberries and lettuces are doing well, and I hope the others are the same.

erin said...

I have had no luck growing dill. I noticed you planted them in with the corn. Is this a tip I don't know about? I live in atlanta, ga. Hot as anything here. I had come to the conclusion that dill would not grow here as all my other herbs grow like gangbusters. Any suggestions?