This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Monday, July 13, 2009

Natural Toothache Remedies

posted by Gavin from The Greening of Gavin

Back in January this year, I had a killer toothache. You know the ones, the kind where you would do just about anything to make the pain go away. In my case, one of my top molars had given up the ghost and the nerve had died, which was causing excruciating pain, and giving me terrible headaches as well.

Now I found that antibiotics work in some cases, however if you want long lasting pain relief you either have to turn to something stronger that may make you very drowsy, or you can always give a few natural remedies a try to attempt to relieve the pain. So during my ordeal earlier on in the year I found two that worked during various stages of the pain.





Picture this;


On Sunday night I was nearly ready to get the pliers out of the tool box and extract it myself, Kim (my thoughtful wife) started searching the web for something more natural that would ease the pain. The painkillers were only working for a very limited time, and at about the 3 hour mark after taking them the pain came back stronger than ever.


She discovered a remedy where you cut a clove of garlic in half lengthways and press the cut side into crushed rock salt. You then place the garlic/salt mix on top of the affected tooth and gently press the juice out of the garlic for about 5-10 minutes. I was a bit sceptical at first, but after about 30 minutes the pain became less intense, and after about an hour it was just a dull throb, which I could handle. I applied this at about 2300, Sunday and it lasted until about 0700 Monday, at which time the pain came back stronger than ever. I tried the garlic/salt method again Monday morning, but it only worked for an hour or so and was then unbearable. So it was back on the painkillers for most of the day.


Tuesday morning, I took some my dad's advice. He remembered back to his youth where his mother (my grandmother) used to give him whole cloves and clove oil to ease the pain of toothache. Well I had some whole cloves and I was given a metal tea ball for Christmas, so I put about 10 whole cloves (the spice) into the ball, and infused them in boiling water for about 5 minutes. A weak clove tea with a teaspoon of sugar, helped relieve the mouth pain associated with the infection, and it provided a numbing relief for my entire mouth.


I then took out one of the cloves from the ball, which were now moist, and placed it on a tooth in front of the infected one and gently chewed it. In about 5 minutes my entire mouth went numb, like the feeling you get after a Novocain injection at the dentist. The pain went back to a dull throb again, and I managed to keep this up all day, putting in a fresh moist clove from the tea ball about once every two hours. A potent remedy if there ever was one! I used this remedy to good effect for four days until I managed to get in to see the Dentist to get the tooth extracted.


I am very impressed with these two natural medicines, and it make me think that there are so many more out there to be found. What other natural remedies do you use for aches and pains. We would love to hear about them here at the Co-op!

16 comments:

linda said...

I have worked as a dental assistant and actually, simple salt and warm water gargles works wonders if the pain is coming from inflamed gums (though not cavities). Even the good dentist I worked for recommended this.

Gavin said...

Yes Linda, it is often the simple remedies that are often over looked. When my tooth was finally extracted, it was a twice daily gargle of warm salty water that helped heal the gaping hole that remained.

Gav

Chile said...

I used the cloves method when I had toothaches after getting several crowns. I've since discovered that drinking coffee, even decaf, brings the pain back as well as aggravating my TMJ (and vertigo).

There's also some thin root you can chew for relief but the herbalist didn't tell me what it was. Ah, here it is in Michael Moore's book on Medicinal Plants of the Mountain West: cow parsnip (Heracleum lanatum).

Ace said...

Cloves work for dry socket as well (after teeth have been extracted). I wanted to add that rinsing with hot salt water and then switching to hydrogen peroxide kills not only infection, but pain as well. And garlic works on nearly any infection.

Many Blessings :)
Ace

linda said...

Hi Gavin
The advantage of saltwater is also that it can draw infection out (and if you have a thorn in your foot, this is the best way to pretreat before extracting it). I should have elaborated in my first comment but didn't have time. For gums, I have heard that using vitamin e to rub on a daily basis is good for them as well, just for maintenance.
Red clover tea as a gargle is great for most mouth sores and if you have an infection it can be drunk and will purify the blood.
This is a good link to read over-
Where There is No Dentist found here: http://www.hesperian.org/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=HB&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=B030
Scroll down to download the book for free. Hope this helps. I think this is an excellent topic as any self sufficient health topic. Keep it coming.

Kristin said...

Thanks for the good info. Tooth numbing products at the store can be expensive. We always have garlic and cloves around!

Toothache remedies said...

Thanks for the info. I also think that simple remedies most of the time do the job.

MAYBELLINE said...

You may have a different appreciation for Marathon Man.

Mrs. Anna T said...

Thank you for posting this.

Mrs. Anna T said...

Thank you for posting this.

linda said...

The homeopathic remedies Arnica and Hypericum, along with oil of Oregano have done wonders for my mind-numbing toothaches and dry socket.

Anonymous said...

I have sent my partner off to the supermarket on a couple of occasions for Lemon Essence. Dabbed on the tooth with a cottonbud certainly eases the pain. And it tastes good too. Mind you it could be the alcohol content of the essence helping too.

Anonymous said...

Oregano worked for the infection of my wisdom tooth by the third application every time till my insurance kicked in and had it removed. For some reason I had no pain so I don't know if it works for that. It is a natural antibiotic and does wonders for all kinds of things.

Red Fern said...

My natural remedy for tooth pain does not involve herbs but clay. I keep a mixture of bentonite clay and water (it turns into a stiff gel) on hand. It helps draw toxins and hold whatever medicinals you're using in place. For tooth ache I saturate a piece of gauze with the clay mix, add a few drops of colloidal silver and pack it in/around the tooth. It draws out infection and inflammation and relieves pain. It's worked both for abscesses and cavities.

Anonymous said...

A single dose of homeopathic medicine Guaiacum, 1M or higher potencies.

Toothache is basically a cold stuck in the sinuses, due to constipation. Any remedy of cold and constipation should work.

Repeated mouthwash with mustard oil, lemon juice and rock salt mixture.

vitamine b said...

A mixture of a pinch of pepper powder and a quarter teaspoon of common salt is an excellent dentrifice. Its daily use prevents dental cavities, foul breath, bleeding from the gums, painful gums, and toothaches. It cures the increased sensitiveness of the teeth. A pinch of pepper powder mixed with clove oil can be put on the cavities to alleviate the toothache.