Monday, 3 August 2009

Eating Simply

By Frugal Trenches















Well, it is supposed to be summer here in England, but the weather is more akin to March or October which many moan about, but for me it gives me a chance to partake in some of my favourite autumn and winter simple activities. First stop is making soup! My kitchen sink soup is a frugal, old favourite of mine. It is versatile and a regular for my family, friends and readers, many of whom suggested I share it with you.

Serves 6 or if there is only 1 of you, it serves you 6 times ;0)

1 large onion - cut up into small pieces

3 stalks of celery - cut up into small pieces

1 6-8 oz can of peas (or whatever you have in your cupboard – corn would work, as would canned green beans)

1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes

1 cup green lentils

3 cups veggie stock

1 cup of water

1 tsp tarragon

1 tsp thyme

2 large garlic cloves, minced

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1 tbsp paprika

pepper to taste

In a saucepan heat up the oil on medium heat. Add the onion and saute until it is all soft/translucent (usually 3-5 minutes). Add the garlic, tarragon, thyme, paprika and saute for another minute. Add the can of tomatoes, veggie stock and lentils. Cover and bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook for about 40 minutes - 50 minutes until the lentils are tender. Add in the celery (cut up finely), tinned peas plus 1 cup of water and cook for another 5-7 minutes. Add in the pepper to taste. Serve hot!


This soup freezes exceptionally well, I usually try to have 2-3 portions in my freezer as a quick meal when in a rush or when I have unexpected lunch guests. I cost making this soup at around 30 pence - $0.46 cents US per portion. It is filling and healthy and goes well with homemade bread or scones, or even a nice simple salad on the side, a spinach salad is my favourite option!

Afterwards I usually head out to my favourite seaside spot for a walk, there really isn't a more simple or frugal way to spend my weekends!




















What is your favourite frugal simple meal? Do you have a favourite frugal and simple activity?