This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Friday, October 23, 2009

Learning To Be Green

By Frugal Trenches

I've shared here before that the quest to be simple, green & frugal has been a real journey for me. I've shared that I was very hard on myself initially, feeling I had to accomplish it all in a short period of time and feeling I'd fallen short because there was simply no way to accomplish it all, unless anyone wants to give me an acre or two ;)

But lately I've been thinking about some small steps I have taken that have reduced my carbon footprint and acknowledging those changes have really affirmed to me why this journey is so important. Furthermore it has helped me see that small changes really do add up!

I thought I'd share some of the teeny tiny changes I've made and would love at the end if you could share some of yours to!
  • I've switched to low energy light bulbs
  • I've requested electronic bills instead of paper bills
  • I've begun buying fair trade items of food whenever possible
  • I've started buying local produce as much as possible
  • I've switched from shopping at a big supermarket and instead first go to my local fruit & veg shop
  • I've recently had to purchase a couple of gifts and needed a new item of clothing, I went to several charity (second hand shops) and found just what I needed
  • I eat vegetarian meals four days a week
  • I did a small google search on ethical shopping and found out which shops are the best for paying decent wages to their workers in developing nations
  • I purchase green alternatives to washing up liquid, clothing detergent and soap
  • I purchase green friendly toilet roll
  • I purchase vinegar and baking soda to clean
  • I use the library instead of buying books, or purchase them second hand if need be!
  • I take my trusty reusable bags with me wherever I go
  • I try to leave my car at home at least two days a week

These are all very tiny changes, none have made a significant difference in my life but I know they will make a real difference in someone else's life and the lives of future generations! I'd love to know what little steps you've taken and whether they make you feel greener?

7 comments:

Rhonda Jean said...

That is an excellent list. Small steps ... they work every time.

Carol said...

I've marked off several things on your list that we do...I've always tried to support the local stores. Looks like you have a good start. It all helps.

I try not to use any chemicals or poisons around my home.

www.wildlifearoundus.blogspot.com

Val said...

No more chemical cleaners
Cloth rags (no paper towel)
Cloth diapers
Cloth wipes (no toilet paper)
"Green" or homemade laundry detergent
I line-dried in the summer - need to find a drying rack for the spot I have inside for fall/winter
More thrift shopping
Less processed food
Fewer packaged products
Started a vegetable garden
Freecycling!

Katidids said...

Still at baby steps but freecycling, no paper products, repurposing clothing & op shopping, glass not plastic, gardening on a much larger scale, no processed foods, cooking from scratch, wild game more than store bought, line drying, changed to green light bulbs, starting composting and worming. we have planted blue and blackberries...a long ways to go yet!

KC said...

I've made similar changes although I need to reduce the amount of meat I eat.

Trying to be greener is an ongoing challenge but one I enjoy immensely.

Dia said...

Love these lists, & I also do most of them - more biking in the summer, as I take laundry to & from work (Massage therapist) but I do have trusty bike bags. The CSA pick up will only be ~ 5 blocks from my house next year, so that will be easier to pick up by bike!
I try to combine trips, use the library a lot, cook from scatch most of the time, my parents went thru the depression, so I'm really just continuing with a lot of the things I grew up doing.

msbetterhome said...

Great list!

I use walk or use public transport for 90% of my trips.
Hankies instead of tissues.
I take my lunch & drinks to work in re-usable packaging.
I collect water in the shower for my garden (using a bucket to catch the cold water that comes out before the hot kicks in).
Time showers to reduce water use.
Share 'big' appliances (ie washing machines) & tools with neighbours, rather than purchasing one for each household.
Re-use existing materials before buying new (ie source stakes for gardening at re-use centre, not the hardware store)
More vegan meals.
Take my own containers when purchasing bulk food.
And yes, I love freecycling :)