This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Do You Have A Good Support Network?

My Community at Work

by Melinda Briana Epler,
One Green Generation

Sometimes on my walk to work, I look around me and realize how different I am than everyone else, with my no poo hair, my BS deodorant, my thrift store threads, my clean green home, my very values-driven work, and my constant worry about the impact we're all having on our planet's future. It's difficult on a number of fronts: not only is it easy to slip into "normalcy" with the world around me because it's difficult to be different - and easy to be the same - but it's also really tough to see day to day how far we still have to go. So many people, so little time to change the way normal is done.

Making lifestyle changes isn't always easy.

Fortunately, when I get to work I'm surrounded by people who are all trying to change the world - maybe not the same way I am, but they are doing it every day and they are making a difference. I also have friends on Facebook all over the world, who are each working on changing normal. Plus I have readers at One Green Generation and the Co-op, supporting me and making me think and act every day. And I take part in lots of local events and groups, and each of them help support my efforts emotionally and physically.

Do you have a good support network? When you feel alone and unusual in your lifestyle, are you able to find solace and ask questions and generally find the foundations you need? If so, where do you find that, and how does it help you?

And if you don't have a good support network, how can we help here?

5 comments:

nipitinthebud said...

no poo hair? just read your article, brilliant, I'm definitely going to try that. Since starting to blog I've found connecting with people on-line is a really encouraging way of finding the support you need to stick to unconventional ways of living. Growing my own veg and turning it into yummy vegetarian recipes is my passion. My allotment community feeds my enthusiasm, conversations provide me with years of seasoned gardening wisdom and best of all... free plants and countless swaps using the currency of fruit and veg :o) The human stories behind the faces makes me feel part of a community that has been lost from my own neighbourhood where most of the houses are landlord owned and tenants come and go. My allotment family is so diverse - a beautiful patchwork of cultures, ages, backgrounds.
http://nipitinthebud.wordpress.com/people/

Miles To Go Before I Sleep...... said...

Ok... I just wrote an entire comment and some how deleted it... argh :)

I think the internet and my close friends are a great form of support for our family. I've noticed that some of my friends have faded away in our transition but others have became much better friends, so it evens itself out.

I've noticed that the least amount of support actually comes from my parents generation. I do believe i'm in the generation Y group and the group I'm referring to is Generation X. I know that I identify more in life style with the elderly (great depression survivors) then with my parents. Anyone else notice this???

All in all, at work, in school, everywhere else, I'm pretty proud to be the different one :) And if people have questions, I am always willing to offer suggestions :)

Anonymous said...

Well my support group is my family and then you guys on the net!
It's nice to log on and find similiar minded people trying to consume less and help the Earth.
But 'Miles to Go Before I Sleep' I'm a Baby Boomer trying to change and my Y Generation kids look at me as though I'm a 60's hippie, ha!

GooseBreeder said...

Proud to be different,proud to be a Boomer and proud to be part of a great local community where someone always knows something about something you need to learn.
Find the 'gathered' community of Flickr,Blogs etc is supportive, kind and generous.
The ones I'm having trouble with at present are the decade up from mine who don't want to/can't embrace the net and grizzle about it, criticise and are unsupportive in the new direction of life which is at times extremely useful for communication for groups such as LETS.

Lily Girl said...

Miles To Go - I too seem to identify with the old folks :) My partner is very supportive (or at least tolerant) of my ways, but he does sometime refer to me as a 100 year old in a 26 year old body because of my skills/interests (cooking from scratch, canning, baking bread, gardening, dehydrating) and those I wish to acquire (sewing, knitting, improving on the aforementioned skills).
We have a few friends who have similar interests, but unfortunately they pretty much all live quite far, so I'm looking for a more local support group. The internet is a great resource for finding both information and like-minded people.