This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Double Duty Rolls

by Throwback at Trapper Creek


With holiday meals looming in the not so distant future, I thought it would be a good time to share my go-to, no-knead roll dough recipe. It's a basic yeast roll dough recipe that is refrigerated, and doesn't need too much attention. And that really fits the bill when you have multiple dishes to prepare and need to get as much prep work done as possible. Also, these rolls can be made ahead so that valuable oven space can be used to your advantage. I don't freeze baked goods but I think these rolls would lend themselves to freezing very well.



Another trick is to use this basic roll dough for dinner rolls, and dessert rolls. You can kill two birds with one stone, and impress your guests too. For this batch I divided the dough and made dinner rolls with pesto and pumpkin seeds, and breakfast rolls with cranberries and walnuts.

I am not going to say that this is the healthiest recipe - it contains white flour and sugar, but sometimes alleviating stress at the holidays trumps sticking to a Nourishing Traditions type diet at the big meal, and I think the ease of this dinner roll making method makes it a winner in that regard.


I live near Bob's Red Mill, but I still only make two trips out there per year. So I buy my yeast in bulk and freeze it. I always proof my yeast before starting any baking project, just so I know it is still active. Add a pinch of sugar to get the yeast working. If it doesn't foam, your yeast may too old, or your water temperature is too cold or too hot. Normally, I pay closer attention and don't let it run over!

This recipe calls for 3 large eggs, but my pullets are still laying medium size eggs, so I threw in a double yolker for good measure.


Beat eggs, add proofed yeast mixture and mix well.

Add half of the flour, melted butter, sugar and salt with remaining water, mix well, then add remaining half of flour to make soft dough.


This dough will remain sticky and wet looking - but remember it is a no-knead recipe, so no worries.

Set to rise in a warm place.



When dough has doubled in bulk, approximately 1 hour or so. Punch down, cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or at least 8 hours to allow for the dough to rest. The daytime is fine too, just make sure you give the dough adequate rest.

The next morning (or whenever you get back to it) punch down the dough and divide in half. On a floured board, roll out two approximately 8" x 15" rectangles. When I make both sweet and savory rolls, I do the sweet first, and follow with the savory. A little sweet residue mixed in with the savory isn't a big deal but pesto mixed in with sweet rolls isn't a pleasant surprise.



At this point you can be as creative as your pantry allows. Spread the oblongs with softened butter, sugar, dried fruit, spices and nuts. Roll up, starting with the long side, cut in 1" lengths with a very sharp knife.


Place cut side up in greased baking dish or muffin tins, let rise until double in size.


For the savory rolls, here again let your pantry be your guide. I used cilantro pesto from the freezer, and my Naked seed pumpkins seeds here.



Spread, roll, cut, cover and let rise.



When the rolls have risen to the desired size, bake. Glaze as desired, or not, and enjoy!


SWEET & SAVORY BUTTER ROLLS 24 - 30 rolls

2 Tablespoons or 2 packages dry yeast
1 1/4 cups warm water

3 large eggs
5 cups unsifted all purpose flour

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
2 teaspoons salt

Additional ingredients: softened butter, sugar, dried fruit, pesto, nuts.


Set yeast to work in 1/4 cup warm water. Beat eggs, add dissolved yeast and mix well. Add 2 1/2 cups of flour and alternating with remaining 1 cup warm water, mix. Mix in 1/2 cup melted butter, sugar, and salt. Mix until smooth. Beat in remaining flour to make a soft dough. Cover and let rise until double in bulk.

Punch dough down, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or at least 8 hours to allow the dough to rest.

To form rolls, punch dough down and divide in half. On floured cloth roll each half into rectangles approximately 8 x 15 inches. Spread with softened butter, and additional fillings as if making cinnamon rolls. Roll up starting with long side, cut in 1-inch slices with a serrated or very sharp knife. Place slices in greased baking dish or muffin tin and let rise until double in bulk.

Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 8 - 10 minutes or until golden brown.

Glaze sweet rolls if desired, or brush savory rolls with melted butter, or not... .


20 comments:

Tree Hugging Mama said...

I have to try these recipes. They look scrumptious. And thanks I never knew what it meant to proof my yeast, I also didn't know I could freeze it. We buy in bulk and leave the unopened package in the lazy susan (an an uninsulated wall) and the open package in the fridge.

Now I know to proof my yeast.
Maybe I will make this simple recipe Sunday and have scrumptious rolls for Monday morning and if all goes well extras for Thanksgiving dinner (but I will have to omit the pumpkin seeds, cause all will complain) but I have a jar of pesto just sitting in my freezer :)

utahlawyer said...

Thank you so much for this recipe. I think I am going to try it for Thanksgiving. I have a bunch of pesto and sun dried tomatoes that need to be used. This recipe would be perfect.

Chiot's Run said...

I have a basic recipe like this that I love. I like it because it's a great use for my buttermilk (since I always have this in excess). Everyone should have a dough recipe like this in their recipe book.

I use it for quick hot dog & hamburger buns as well as dinner rolls, cinnamon rolls and other sweet breads.

Kari said...

Thanks for the recipe!

Your pictures were so appetizing it makes me want to make a batch right away. :)

Sincerely, Emily said...

Wonderful. I already make No-Knead bread, so this is another great way to use it. I still want to try it for a pizza too. thanks for your photos. That really helps a lot. And "utahlawyer's" idea of sun dried tomatoes - wonderful. Emily

fullfreezer said...

YUM!! Those look fantastic. Even my husband came to look over my shoulder while I was reading and said "copy that one".
Judy

Paula said...

Mmmm, both look so yummy. My hubby is a big fan of sweet, so I know he'd gobble those sweet rolls. I am more savory, so those cilantro rolls have my name on them. Does the cilantro flavor come through? I'm a fan, and am wondering if those would make a nice accompaniment to a yummy Mexican Chicken Soup recipe I like. The pumpkin seeds would definitely work. Mmmm, mmm, good!

hickchick said...

Wow- it is early AM and I have not yet had breakfast, my mouth is just watering...my store bought english muffins are just not gonna satisfy now. :)

Jackie @ Lilolu said...

I just came across your site and love it. These recipes look wonderful. Can't wait to try them out. Have a wonderful day!

Simple in France said...

Oh how fun! I can't wait to try it. I often make a batch of sweet breakfast rolls whenever I bake bread--I figure if I'm already heating the oven . . .I hadn't thought of making fancy dinner rolls like that though and the make ahead possibilities are amazing. . .for Thanksgiving my family makes a fabulous feast and then uses these gross brown and serve rolls to go with it just because they're easy. I'm going to whip out some savory rolls instead. Excellent post!

Cynthia said...

Thanks for the recipe, I can see doing so much with it. I make a yeast roll, but it takes a lot of work and I would only do it at the holidays.

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

Tree Hugging Mama, thank you! I freeze what I am not using, and keep a jar in the fridge during the summer or in the winter, I just keep it in the kitchen since our house is on the cool side.

This recipe gets easier after making it a few times - once I got it memorized it really saved me some time. Happy Thanksgiving!

Utahlawyer, sundried tomatoes sound delicious! It's a kind of a kitchen sink kind of recipe - whatever needs using up!

Chiot's Run, I love this recipe, since I can leave it for such long periods of time. I have left it in the fridge longer than overnight too - and it always comes through like a champ!

Sometimes it is just for dinner rolls without anything but melted butter brushed on top and sometimes it makes it way into a pull-a-part cinnamon ring. Always a treat though :)

Kari, thanks - I never no whether to include the photos of not - not wanting to seem redundant, but I agree, I wanted to eat more myself after seeing the photos :)

Sincerely, Emily, I second utahlawyers tomato idea, and good luck with the recipe. It really is a timesaver!

Judy, I found this recipe when I worked fulltime at the hospital, and I could get it going before I went to work and make fresh rolls when I got home. Perfect for homemakers who work ;)

Paula, most hubbies come with that sweet tooth attached me thinks... .

The cilantro does come through, I am lazy and pat out my dough, but if you roll it out thin, that will give you more pesto to dough ratio - I'm just a harried cook! Italian Parsley pesto was good with them too!

hickchick, sorry :)

Jackie, thanks for stopping by.

Simple in France, let this be the end of brown and serve! Happy Thanksgiving!!

Cynthia, I used to bake a lot, and this recipe rapidly became a favorite because of the simplicity and taste and texture of the dough. I wonder why I used more difficult recipes after I found this one :)

inadvertent farmer said...

I grew squash for naked seeds this year and I'm not sure I can ever go back...your pesto rolls look divine. I'm going to try this but using whole wheat dough. Kim

Margo said...

Anyone know how to get drool out of my keyboard? :-)

Urban Homesteader said...

These rolls look absolutely amazing and I can't wait to try them! Thanks so much for all of your beautiful photos and detailed descriptions.

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

Kim, aren't the naked seed pumpkins great!

I have made these with whole wheat too, and they are just fine. Since my hubby learned all his childhood allergies are tied to his grain eating habits, I rarely make these anymore for him, since it is such a relief for him to not be bothered with those allergies. But for a group meal I usually have to cave and use the white flour, it is too hard to always be the food police.

Margo - :)

Urban Homesteader, thanks, you will find the rolls pretty easy to make and eat too :)

Sustainable Eats said...

I've been on the quest for the perfect cinamon roll for years - they seem to always be too tough since the cinnamon & yeast don't play well together. Have you made these with lots of cinnamon before?

I also only have whole wheat flour that I grind fresh - should I use the red winter wheat? Or I have white wheat berries, spelt, emmer or soft wheat berries? When our experiment is up on 12/31 I plan to buy a bag of white flour for pie crusts and pasta again!

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

Sustainable Eats, I like the soft white wheat for pastry and rolls like this. It works well, but really most wheats and combinations of other grain flours will work too. It just depends on who is going to eat them. A white bread potluck gathering means I need to make them close to bakery fare - at home, anything is fair game.

I am not sure did you mean you combined the cinnamon with the flour? I have never done that, spreading it lavishly instead on the softened butter, combined with the fruit or nuts. Azure carries a good 3% Organic cinnamon from Oregon Spice - yummy!!

Sometimes it is nice to have the white flour on hand - I made bread today for stuffing - it was half white and half whole wheat - I just didn't want to hear the complaints about the whole wheat only - makes the holiday go a little easier :)

Tree Hugging Mama said...

Uggghhhh this is not working. I have 2T of yeast in 1/4 c warm water, but its not doing much. A little bubble, I am thinking my warm water isn't warm enough but not sure how warm it should be. I may not be able to make these rolls, they are not cooperating with me.

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

Tree Hugging Mama, 110 - 115 Farenheit is the temperature range. If you have a thermometer handy, use that to gauge the temp, if it's too hot, add cold, or too cold add hot, and if need be, use more more water, for instance a half cup. Just make sure to reduce the water in the mixing part of the dough so the total stays the same. Stick your finger in the water when it is the correct temperature so your finger will "know" what 110F is and you won't have to use a thermometer next time. Don't be afraid to throw out the first yeast and try again - Hope this works :)

Yeast breads are fun but can be frustrating sometimes!