This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Vegetables for the Picky Eater

by Badhuman

I'm a picky eater and I married a picky eater which makes meal planning a bit harder. Try to add in fresh veggies and it seems impossible! But, much to our parents shock there are two vegetable recipes that my husband and I both love.

One is braised kale and the other is roasted brussels sprouts (when roasted they are more addictive then potato chips or popcorn!)





Braised Brasilian Kale, originally uploaded by asacco9642.

Braised Kale from Emeril Lagasse

Ingredients-
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups thinly sliced onions
1 teaspoon salt
12 turns freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons minced garlic
8 cups (firmly packed) torn and stemmed kale pieces
2 cups Basic Chicken Stock, recipe follows
Splash cider vinegar

Directions-
Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the onions, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, kale, and stock and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes; add a splash of cider vinegar in the last minute of cooking. Remove from the heat. Serve immediately.






little green soldiers, originally uploaded by abidangit.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Ingredients-
1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
3 tablespoons good olive oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Cut off the brown ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves. Mix them in a bowl with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Pour them on a sheet pan and roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Shake the pan from time to time to brown the sprouts evenly. Sprinkle with a little more kosher salt if desired.

What's your favorite vegetable prep?


13 comments:

Alison said...

wow, picky eaters who like kale AND brussels sprouts!? lol, never my kids!

Roasted brussels sounds pretty good, mmmm...

GooseBreeder said...

Think you'll have to give up that picky eater label...who gave it to you?
If you eat these veggies reckon you might like roasted cauliflower also and have you tried roasting a pan of pumphin,tomatoes,zucchinis,carrots,sprouts together with a bit of olive oil drizzled over?
Come on over and check out my Spinach Jalouise, somewhere back in the archives..you might enjoy!

June said...

We love both these vegetables prepared this way. We do an even simpler version of the kale...just the olive oil and salt. It's amazing how MUCH of this our children devour...there is hardly any left for us!

YUM! Roasting is the greatest thing ever for vegetables...roasting and sea salt!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Just about ANY veggie tastes good when roasted in this manner. We do carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, green beans, red bell pepper, zucchini. Love 'em all!

Michelle said...

Yummmy! I am not a picky eater at all. Probably one of the least picky. Good for me and my parents!

CJ's Vintage said...

What is it with MEN? Mine will only eat Corn and canned peas! YUCK! and the occasional salad with ICEBURG lettuce and Tomatoes only (as far as veggies go)!

Lily Girl said...

My mom never served us brussel sprouts growing up. I discovered them, roasted, as an adult and they are now one of my favorite veggies. I can understand why people would hate them if all they ever had was boiled sprouts, but roasting them makes them additively delicious! I recommend you try roasting kale too, the leaves get crispy like the ones that fall off the brussel sprouts do which are my favorite part.

City Smallholder said...

We're going to give the roasted brussels a try. We grew too many this year and have been looking for new ways to eat them. Roasting sounds much better than boiling.

karen said...

Roasted brussel sprouts are the total bomb! I always add them to my pan of veggies for roasting and my husband and I always eat those first! My fav combo is onions, garlic, string beans, eggplant, brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes and red peppers. Toss with olive oil and sea salt and roast. UMMMMM!

Dia said...

I adore both kale & brussels sprouts - have kale in my garden, & a stock of sprouts from the last CSA share of the season! I often add some chopped filberts (hazelnuts) to the sprouts, & do all my sauteing in OG coconut oil these days - yum!!
I stir fry veggies, then bake awhile (a mix of OGs of the season) Rattatoui style, add kale or other greens toward the end.

Chookie said...

I'm not a picky eater, and can't imagine how you could be picky with such vegies in your repertoire!

To my mind, the secret to delicious Brussels sprouts is to get fresh young ones. If they are 5cm long, they will be coarse-tasting. Second, they should be just-cooked (I do them for 4 mins in my microwave and they are perfect).

Annodear said...

I appreciate how easy these recipes are!!

I've never "connected" with brussel sprouts, but I think I've only had them steamed or boiled... will definitely give them another chance with this prep method. Thank you :-)

Dawna said...

I can't even remember the last time I had a brussel sprout, but I do remember my mom boiled them which scared me away from them for years. Tonight, however, I tried your recipe and they were fantastic! Even my husband liked them, and to him carrot cake is a veggie!

These will most certainly grace our table again, and I can't wait to make them for my mom!