Thursday, 15 April 2010

How Much Laundry Do You Do?

By Notes From The Frugal Trenches



















I mentioned recently on my blog that a friend of mine admitted that she and her husband do 16 loads of laundry for two people, per week! I was quite amazed, or horrified, depending on how you look at it, as two people in my household equates to three loads a week and a family including children come in at around 5 loads per week. I asked readers how much laundry they did and found a variety of interesting responses.

I used to do a lot more laundry but gradually cut down, saving myself time and money. Here are my tips for reducing the laundry pile and saving money:

1. Don't wash everything just because it has been worn once - apart from underwear and socks, everything for grownups gets used more than once. For children I've found often t-shirts need washing after one wear, but on the whole jeans, trousers, tops, sweaters etc can all be used several times before they need washing.

2. Take care of your clothing - if I take the time to change and put the clothing away straight away, it is more likely to keep it's shape/form and not look like it needs washing or ironing!

3. I wash sheets every other week maximum! I'd love to do it less, but once you've seen bed bugs under a microscope your opinion changes on such things ;)

4. I use no more than 2 towels per person, per week!

5. PJ's and nighties are used for 3-4 nights in a row before they are placed in the laundry!

6. I wash at 30 degrees!

7. I use eco-friendly washing detergent and use only 1/2 the recommended amount! In the future I hope to make my own!

8. I hang dry most clothing on a small clothes horse and wait to do sheets and towels until the weather is semi-nice (aka not raining) so they can go outside.

Several of my readers mentioned they make use of comfy clothing once home from work and I've found this works for me too, as I can wear them many days in a row without needing a wash - leggings + sweat top is my favourite choice of comfy clothing!

Do you have any laundry tips to share? How many loads of laundry do you do per week in your household?