Tuesday, 20 April 2010

Thirst for Knowlege

by Chiot's Run

I've always been inquisitive, as a result the library has been one of my best friends throughout my life. When I was a young girl I'd stop at the library almost every day and pick up a new book, which I'd finish that night and exchange for a new one the next day (thank goodness for all those speed/comprehension reading drill in grade school). I'm still an avid reader, with stack of books around the house and the library is still a frequent stop on my errand days (much easier now with on-line searching & requesting).



This time of year I’m pretty busy, so I don’t get as many books read as I would like. I find myself reading during any spare bit of time I can find; over breakfast, lunch and dinner, at night before going to sleep, for an afternoon break, in the evening. I still won’t get all the books read that I want to read, but that’s OK.



I'm usually reading multiple books at one time, often a gardening book that I can leaf through, a book I'm actually reading in depth to gain knowledge, a story or fiction, a health/herb book that I can read in small bits to soak it up and I have a few on deck waiting.



I always keep a notebook handy while reading so I can jot down quotes, ideas, plant recommendations, interesting info, etc. Right now the book I'm thoroughly enjoying is The Winter Harvest Handbook: Year Round Vegetable Production Using Deep Organic Techniques and Unheated Greenhouses. What a fascinating idea for those of us that live in the colder northern climates. If you'd like to read my review check it out here.

Do you like to read? Do you use your local library?

I can also be found at Chiot's Run where I blog daily about gardening, cooking, local eating, beekeeping, and all kinds of stuff. You can also find me at Not Dabbling in Normal.