This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

What Does Your Body Tell You?

By Notes From The Frugal Trenches


















I'll be honest, I never used to listen to my body, in fact if you'd of told me my body was trying to tell me something I probably would have looked at you like you had 100 heads, or maybe 101 ;-) Slowly but surely as I started to work less and live more, stop running and instead being I learned that my body has a natural rhythm that I need to, when possible (or perhaps more correctly, as much as possible) respect.

I never really felt, or understood when my body had too much sugar, or needed more water, more rest, or perhaps more correctly a more restful life. As I began to make different, more homemade food choices, I noticed when I reverted to unhealthier food choices, I was thirsty or would get a headache. I found when I went to bed late and woke later, I had less energy than going to bed early and rising earlier. Gradually, I began to see my body as a story teller, of a tale which was beautiful, complicated, intricate and delicate. I began to see the link between how I was feeling with what was happening internally rather than externally. Before it was so easy to blame a busy day or a disgruntled co-worker or even the weather, now I know for the most part it is much more about me.

Health is defined not merely as the absence of disease, but according to the World Health Organization is about a complete physical, mental and social well-being. So what exactly does this wonderful story telling entity tell me now:

- When I need more water
- When I need more rest
- When I need time to myself
- When I need time with friends
- When I need to pull in
- When I need to branch out
- When I need to eat veggies or fruit or have more fiber
- When I need to pray, reflect, meditate
- When I need to exercise
- When I need to make amends
- When I need to be outside
- When I need the sun
- When I need to dance in the rain
- When I need to feed my brain
- When I need to nurture my soul
- When I need to nurture other's souls, give and serve

And last but by no means least, it also tells me when I need to knit. Yes, knitting is most certainly a need! ;-)

What does your body need? Do you listen to it's rhythm? Do you nurture your soul?

7 comments:

Liz said...

Thanks so much for this post. Yesterday my body told me it really, REALLY appreciated being out in the woods for the first time in far too long. I'd been tired and irritable for over a week and was beginning to think something was very wrong. Turns out, it was - I needed to be somewhere green and pleasant.

~Molly~ said...

I was hungry all day yesterday. Really I was thirsty but didn't want to give in to drinking a ton of water(just didn't sound good to me). Mostly I ate many little unsatisfying snacks. Finally I gave in and drank two glasses of water at bedtime. My day would have gone better if I'd had the water earlier and more of it.*G*

And knitting(or crocheting since I am a horrid knitter) is the new xanax. Our grannies knew this but for some reason were unable to articulate it to future generations.

Molly

Just A Gal said...

Great post. When there is a constant To-Do list streaming in your head it's difficult to focus on what your body needs. This was a great reminder to check in with mine today.

Michelle said...

Yseterday, at all three meals, my body gave me a very clear, "I'm full" signal long before it normally does. It was such a dramatic change from the usual that it worried me a bit, but I pulled back and ate less. Today, my appetite is normal.

Yesterday, my body told me I needed to play outside. Literally, play, splash in water and jump and run and giggle like a child. I felt that urge. So I took my daughter outside and we played with the garden hose for an hour. Felt great.

Yesterday, my body told me I needed more water to drink. And I didn't listen. So I woke up with swollen fingers today and can't wear my wedding rings.

Great post. A reminder to tune into ourselves. Our bodies won't steer us wrong.

Laura @ Getting There said...

Thank you for the reminder! I listen to my body more often these days, and the benefits are huge. Especially I find it's so important to go to bed when I feel tired, instead of forcing myself to stay up another hour or even two. I feel so much better the next morning and actually end up getting way more done.

Chookie said...

If we go away on holidays and eat fewer vegetables than usual, my body tells me -- I feel sluggish.
(Does anyone else wonder where the rest of the vegies are when they are eating out?)

Stacy (Little Blue Hen) said...

This is exactly the reason I am studying to become a health coach. People are told to eat by the clock, faster, bigger, more food, then if you get tired later just down an energy drink. Our bodies know what they need. Last week I made sure to eat slowly, chew thoroughly, and be mindful of the flavors and textures of my food, only eating when hungry. I felt so good!