This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Cumquats

written by Gavin from The Greening of Gavin.

A friend of mine gave me a couple of kilograms of Cumquats last Friday.  I was not sure about what to do with them all, so I did a bit of research.

A Cumquat is a very small citrus, that grows well in colder climates.  It also grows well in pots or a large container.  Wikipedia states;

"The Round Kumquat (also Marumi Kumquat or Morgani Kumquat) is an evergreen tree, producing edible golden-yellow coloured fruit. The fruit is small and usually round but can be oval shaped. The peel has a sweet flavour but the fruit has a sour centre. The fruit can be eaten raw but is mainly used to make marmalade and jelly. It is grown as an ornamental plant and can be used in bonsai. This plant symbolises good luck in China and other Asian countries, where it is sometimes given as a gift during the Lunar New Year. It's more commonly cultivated than most other kumquats as it is cold tolerant. It can be kept as a houseplant."
Now when they mean sour, well all I can say is that sour is not the word for this fruit.  My tongue is still stinging from the first time I ate one.  The peel is actually sweeter than the centre!

I have kept some aside for marmalade to go with the other citrus I have grown, however I turned a kilo of them (2.2lbs) into something I have been meaning to try for a long time.  Cumquat Brandy!


Here is the recipe;

Cumquat Brandy

You need:
Cumquats, sugar and a bottle of brandy.

Method:
  • 1kg cumquats
  • 500g sugar (you can use 375g sugar if preferred, or more than 500g for a sweeter liqueur)
  • 1 bottle brandy
Prick the cumquats all over with a skewer or darning needle. Place in a large jar with the sugar and brandy. Shake or stir each day until sugar is dissolved (about 10 days).

Leave 6 months before using brandy, at which point the cumquats can also be consumed.
Now, I am yet to try it, but I reckon that it should taste just like Cointreau.  Well here is hoping anyway.  I will let you know in six months time!

Has anyone else tried this type of home made liqueur?  I am dying to find out if it will be worth the wait.

10 comments:

Bellen said...

Kumquats are also great preserved in a sugar syrup. Used as garnish with roast chicken, spicy BBQ and at Thanksgiving and Christmas they are a staple in southern homes.

Sense of Home said...

Sounds delicious. We bought some and tried to eat them as you would other citrus, too sour. Your recipe sounds like a good one, or perhaps the marmalade.

Laura said...

You're supposed to eat kumqats whole, peel and all, precisely because the peel is sweeter than the flesh. I grew up on kumquats and I love them.

john (dad) said...

we had them at the dairy gav. yes you do it them whole. they are a bit tarty, but i love them like that, seeing i like eating lemons

Psylova said...

Heidi Swanson has a great recipe for a citrus salad in her book "Super natural cooking : five ways to incorporate whole and natural foods into your cooking". She uses cumquats and other citrus (use a variety), toasted walnuts, celery and maybe a couple of other things. Really good. We love it. My kids eat multiple helpings of this salad every time we have it.

Mickle in NZ said...

An easy one is prunes in dark rum. It is okay to use unpitted prunes. After 3 to 6 months you'll have delicious rummy prunes and a thick liquer. This one is a childhood memory from the 1970s!

Patrick Mc said...

Sounds good Gav. In England we had some awesome Sloe Vodka, made in the same way with wild sloes (fruit from the blackthorn - a Prunus spp.) picked from the forest behind our relatives house. It tasted awesome. Hope your brandy is brilliant.

Threads of Light said...

We have a kumquat tree, very small, only a handful of fruit a year at this stage. I love them! Not sour at all, and I just pop the whole thing in my mouth and - bliss.

Eric said...

Kumquats are the best fruit around in my opinion. In our climate, we can just barely grow satsumas, they are pretty sour, but Kumquats are great!

As for liqueurs, I made a Goumi Liqueur this year from the bush in my yard. It was mighty sweet.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the recipe. I have been given some cumquats, which I love to eat raw but there are too many for me to consume. A friend used to give me brandied cumquats years ago. They are divine, particularly eaten with vanilla icecream, with the juice poured over the top.