This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Home Brew Beer

by Gavin from The Greening of Gavin.

Enough words, time for some movies on the SGFC.

I ran a beer making workshop a few months ago, and want to share it all with you today.  It is in three parts, so those who are interested in making your own beer from a kit, enjoy the show and I hope you learn or can share it with your partner.  You even get to hear my cool Aussie accent!















Cheers!

If you want to see how my beer turned out, have a look at this post titled "Beer Tasting".  It all tastes great, and it is very cheap at 46 cents a 750ml bottle.  The initial set up cost was about $80 for the first batch and all the equipment, but every brew after that, the price reduces as you pay back you set up cost from the savings.  Suffice to say that I have not bought a beer for a very long time.

Just a reminder.  Please drink in moderation.  Having an abundant supply of the amber nectar does not necessarily mean you have to drink more.  Words of wisdom from a man who knows!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

My boyfriend makes his own beer. He is getting pretty good at it. He loves the IPA's and Stouts. He made a cherry stout that was a big hit.

Sadge said...

Interesting. Making beer at our house involves bringing 5 gallons of water to a boil, simmering the hops, grain and/or malt, and then cooling it all down until the yeast can be added. In fact, we just bottled a batch this morning.

When we have the apples (or pears), I also dabble in hard cider making. Grinding and pressing the fruit is the first step there. After the first fermentation, some also goes into the vinegar jar for a second fermentation. Two year old cider now tastes like champagne. Cheers!

Hathor's Bath said...

I really enjoy doing this but haven't done in a while; the prep is a fair bit of work but is worth it. I am better at the ciders and country wines, but my ex is the beer-fu master and brews from grain. He has developed a gluten intolerance however and so he can't have the stuff! He's on a mission to find a way to brew beer without wheat, bless him.

Notes From The Frugal Trenches said...

Wow, this looks fab! Dare I say I'd love to try...