Tuesday, 12 October 2010

Making Parmesan Cheese - Video Tutorial

By Gavin from The Greening of Gavin

I recently posted a series of cheese making tutorials on my personal blog, and the response was so good, that I thought I would share my favourite here with you.  It is my favourite because I get to taste test one of my own Parmesan cheeses on camera at the end of part 2!


Parmesan is really called Parmigiano Reggiano, named after the two regions in Italy where it is made.  It is one of the worlds most famous grating cheeses.  Normal sized wheels of Parmigiano Reggiano weigh about 46 kg each, but this recipe is modified to make 1 kg of this delicious cheese.  It certainly beats the crappy, smelly, powered cheese you can buy in those green containers!  Everyone in my family gives it a massive two thumbs up, and we eat it shaved or grated on many types of pasta dishes.

To find the recipe I have used many times that the tutorial is based upon, take a visit to this post simply titled "Parmesan".  Both videos run for a combined total of about 26 minutes, however in real time, the entire process took about 4 hours from milk to mould and the final press.


Part 1;









Part 2;






Bon app├ętit!

If anyone has any questions about the process, please leave a comment below, and I will endeavour to reply as quickly as possible.  Who thinks that they will give it a go?