Tuesday, 23 November 2010

What To Do With A Whopper!

by Gavin from The Greening of Gavin

Look what I discovered lurking under my zucchini bush!  Note the bewildered look on my face.  What the heck am I going to do with this massive zucchini.  It weighted in at 2.772 kg, and it is the biggest I have ever seen.  It wouldn't even fit in the fridge!


But then the ah ha moment!


I shall make a chutney with some of it, and dinner with the remainder.

So it was off to the kitchen to slice half of it up for a zucchini chutney, which I salted and left overnight. 



Now for piece de resistance.  I found a recipe for Curry Zucchini Soup, which I gave a go.  Here it is.


Curry Zucchini Soup




Ingredients 

 



serves 4-6



  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 1/2 cups onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 kg (2 1/2 pounds) zucchini
  • 1 litre (1 quart) low-salt vegetable stock
  • 2 tablespoons curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions



Sweat the onions and garlic in the olive oil and butter in a large saucepan, set over medium heat, don't brown.
Add the zucchini, stock, curry powder and ginger and a large pinch of salt and pepper.
Allow to simmer until the vegetables are very soft - about 45 minutes.
Carefully put the soup, in batches, into a blender, or use an immersion stick blender; blend until smooth.
Stir in the cream, taste, and adjust the seasonings if required.
Serve with crusty bread.



We found this soup to have a wonderful flavour, with a slight kick from the curry powder.  All the kids wolfed it down and asked for seconds.  I thought it was quite filling.


So, in reflection, that is what you do with a whopping big zucchini!