Thursday, 16 December 2010

Homemade Nutella (hazelnut-chocolate spread)

by My Suburban Homestead 

Today I discovered by accident that it is easy to make Nutalla from scratch. Here's what happened:

My husband saw a jar of leftover hazelnuts that I had from making hazelnut mashed potatoes and he said: "Hey, why don't you make some hazelnut butter? That sounds good." So I proceeded to make some hazelnut butter.

If you've never made your own nut butters before, the process is extremely simple. Place some nuts (toasted for best flavor) in the bowl of your food processor or blender, and blend for several minutes. Scrape the sides down several times and blend until the oil is glistening and the butter is a smooth, spreadable consistency. Add some salt to taste. Viola--homemade nut butter! The process is the same for peanuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, etc.

After I made this and was pouring it into a mason jar, I saw some dark chocolate leftover from my homemade peppermint bark project and thought: "Hey, I could make my own Nutella!" I poured off some hazelnut butter, and left about a 1/2 cup in the bowl of the food processor. Then I added about a cup of dark chocolate chips.

This was the result: smooth, yummy, hazelnut-chocolate butter. Spread it on toast, pancakes, waffles, fruit...

Now, I don't know much about the storage life, or if it would stay spreadable if you place the spread in the refrigerator. But chances are, it won't sit around that long! This would be an excellent addition to your holiday breakfast. Enjoy!