This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My big, homemade pot rack

This pot rack is roughly 4 feet by 2 feet and made of galvanized piping.
by Amy of My Suburban Homestead

My dear husband made me this big pot rack for Christmas this year. 






Our house was built in the 70′s and has very low ceilings. I’ve attempted to put up a potrack before, but the pots hung way too low and had to take it down. And our house is very small–only 1,100 square feet, and hardly has any storage space, so we’ve had to be pretty creative with our storage.
A decent potrack is so expensive, and a few days ago my husband decided that he could make a big potrack out of galvanized piping from Home Depot. In all, he told me he spent around $100.
For the hooks, we’re using a couple different types of shower curtain rings, also available at Home Depot.Here is a link to his blog, which lists more about his construction and a list of the materials he used.  I think its a keeper, what do you think?
He purchased the pre-threaded pipe, but said you can cut the pipe to any size you want and have it threaded at Home Depot.
If  you have a small  house, what ways have you found to save space? 

13 comments:

Paula said...

I've made a pot rack from galvanized pipe before- it works well for that! I like that yours hugs the ceiling- that should be much better.

Tiffany Jewelry said...

a nice suggestion for me. my room is small, it is too crowded.

Judie said...

Nice job! We made an extra shelf over the upright freezer with a wire mesh bottom to let the air circulate and a corner shelf that extends over our back door. This gave us a lot of space for things we don't use every day.

Pamela said...

We have a nice piece of driftwood that is attached to the wall as a pot rack. Everyone always comments on it!

Sadge said...

I love it! I have a counter peninsula I'd like to put a pot rack over. It would have to be quite short, and narrow. I kinda envision one made from the backside (round rungs side) of an old ladder, if I ever find just the right one.

LindaG said...

I think it looks great! :-)

Tree Huggin Momma said...

I have thought about making my own pot rack, I just haven't gotten that far. Can I borrow you DH for Christmas next year. I just want him to build and put up a pot rack that works with my kitchen :)

louisa @ TheReallyGoodLife said...

Love it - such a shame we couldn't have one in our house -- to have it low enough for me to use easily would probably put the pots at head height for my boyfriend - and I'm sure after a frying pan hit him in the face for the fourth time he'd get annoyed and take it down.

I have seen a similar creation for use against a wall rather than on the ceiling - http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/intro/0,,20286884,00.html - now if only we had a spare wall!

Dea-chan said...

We have ZERO storage in my kitchen, so we use everything from the top of the fridge to under the sink for storing food, and keep our dishes on top of an old TV stand in the dining room section of our apartment.

~Molly~ said...

You don't even know how timely this is!!

We're adding lots of hooks and other space makers to our kitchen as an after-Christmas present(too chaotic to do it before). A pot rack is high on my list of NEEDS! I found this one* and then yours showed up in google so I have lots to go by. We will probably use copper because our dining room curtain rod is just a copper pipe on two brackets and the pot rack will go on the other side of that room.

Years ago I saw a piece of lattice fencing that had small hooks all over it for garden tool storage or some such. We are probably going to do something like that too for brooms, mops, dustpans and so forth, maybe again with copper piping.

*http://mrsg8808.wordpress.com/2010/04/21/homemade-pot-rack/

Molly

First Gen American said...

I bought a wall pot rack for $40 and I think I spent $5 for extra hooks. I love it.

Even after I remodeled my kitchen, I still use it because pans take up so much cabinet space and I like the convenience of it.

Yours is great. I have low ceilings too. I never thought to make one so close to the ceiling. Great idea.

Donna said...

We have a 918 sq ft home,so space is quite precious. Like you I was looking for a hanging pot rack,but nearly died when I saw the prices of the sizes I wanted (some go upward to $600 here in the US).I am on the hunt for an old wooden ladder to make a pot rack out of.

Vegetable Garden Cook said...

Old ladders are cool. I like to use them as trellises in the garden.