This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

The return of the sun

By Aurora, Island Dreaming

Whilst all seasons have their charms and downsides, I think that most people have times of year that they prefer. My perennially pale complexion marks summer as my natural enemy and my feeble circulatory system sees winter as its foe, hence I thrive in spring and autumn. Winter here this year  has been dreary - one day of pristine, crunchy snow followed by weeks of slush, freezing temperatures, greyness and treacherous ice. The rest of the country descended into snowy chaos as we turned into Sweden for a few weeks, though without any of that nation's preparedness. This is one winter I will be particularly glad to see the end of.


I feel the transition from winter is very much a 'countryside' season that can fall flat in the city, with its evergreen shrub beds, annual planting schemes and general lack of wildlife. Nevertheless, now the solstice is past; the first signs of new growth will begin to appear, just as the harshest part of winter descends upon us.The days lengthen by a few minutes everyday, the sun rises a little higher in the sky, warmer days will eventually come. Whilst now is still a time to be hunkering down against the elements in temperate northern climates, it is also a good time to begin planning for the approaching season (if for no other reason than all this dark and cold is getting a little old for my liking).

For gardeners the tasks for the coming months are obvious - tidying, planning, seed selecting and starting. But I am also starting to look at how our menu will change, what produce will be coming into season and what wines and preserves I can make early on in the year. Open-farm 'lambing' days begin at the end of this month and continue through to spring, a great opportunity to get acquainted with local food producers. As we now have an allotment, we might visit a 'Potato day' to pick up some unusual tubers to plant. Most importantly, I would like to bring the season alive for our toddler son  - buds unfurling and baby birds chirping, the wonder of planting a seed and watching it grow - and need to plan as many outings and activities as possible to that effect, both in and out of the city.

The temptation, in the depths of winter, is to try and preempt Spring. Last New Year, in my eagerness to see something grow, I sowed tomatoes and aubergines on my shady windowsill - far too early, far too prolifically. By the time the initially weedy growth matured and got too big for the windowsill, we were still in the midst of frosts and biting winter winds. This year, despite my itching to get on and do something, anything, that affirms that greenery and abundance will once again be returning to my patio, I have not yet succumbed.  Instead I am quietly observing what is going on around me, waiting for the first signs of spring and tidying up a few stray ends in the garden, ready to pounce when the right day comes.

Wherever you are, in the midst of whatever season, I wish you a very happy and prosperous 2011.

6 comments:

linda said...

Whenever I feel so dreary due to winter,I take out my sprouting jar and sprout something. Within a couple of days, I have something green and fresh,"grown" by my own hand. This stops me from prematurely starting seeds as well:)
A great gift the other day in this very big city was a kestrel that landed on the branch of a tree just outside my window. Last year, the same tree hosted cardinals all winter. We have lots of wildlife to watch out for around here and I feel very renewed whenever I see something like this.
Happy New Year to all.

Annodear said...

You sound like me :-) I *know* the days are getting longer.... They *are*!!! Altho it's usually at least a month before I can 'tell'.

Something I like to do is wait until after Christmas and then snag one of those 'Amaryllis in a box' kits that include a container, dirt, and a 'forced' blub~ ready to grow and bloom within just a couple short weeks indoors. They can be had for $5, and I've got one in my kitchen window as we speak, watching it grow and anticipating the blooms :-)

HELLA-STELLA said...

Happy New Year to you!!!

Aurora said...

Linda - Thats a great idea, I have some red cabbage that I might start this week.

Annodear - I was tempted by Narcissus and Hyacinths at the Garden centre, but resisted; I think I might go back and get some. I have noticed some tulips have put up leaves outside, not long now :) .

HELLA-STELLA - Thank you!

Tiffany Jewelry said...

at the begining of 2011 i wish you a very happy and prosperous 2011 too .

Asics Shoes said...

The Return of the Sun signifies the rising of the sun higher and the days getting longer and the coming of spring. Celebrate the coming