This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Home Made Wensleydale Cheese

by Gavin from The Greening of Gavin

No so long ago, I made a video tutorial for Wensleydale Cheese which I think you will enjoy. 

This cheese is up there with my favourite cheese Caerphilly and on a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a 9.5 especially when you hit that layer of sage in your first mouthful!  The only down side of this cheese is the 8 hours it takes from milk to mould.  Well worth it if you have a rainy day and can't think of anything else to do.

You can find the recipe that I used at this post titled, Wensleydale Recipe and Method.

Here is a bit about the cheese itself.   Wensleydale cheese is a firm and slightly flaky cheese but not dry or crumbly, in fact quite the reverse, its moist and quite succulent with a melt in the mouth forte to it. Slightly sweet but not that it is immediately noticeable and with no after-taste, Wensleydale is perfect to accompany all fresh fruits including apples, pears, grapes, grapefruit and strawberries to name but a few.

Also nice with a glass of light wine, or a cold beer with a Wensleydale ploughman's lunch, Wensleydale is also great on rye or crackers.









No wonder Wallace and Gromit like it so much! For other ramblings about my cheese making journey, pop on over to my cheese posts on my personal blog.  You will find a wealth of information on how to start making this wonderful dairy product in your own home.

2 comments:

CallieK said...

Wensleydale with cranberries is my favourite cheese in the world ( and that's saying something if you knew my obsession with cheese). Thank you for posting this!

Gavin said...

Hi CallieK,

Sounds like a great combination of flavours.

Gav x