This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Repeated Refrains of Nature

by Chiot's Run

There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature - the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.

- Rachel Carson (The Sense of Wonder)


In the spring I am deeply appreciative of the "repeated refrains of nature" as Rachel Carson calls them. When you live in a climate with long cold winters the assurance that spring will come eventually really keeps you going during those long dark days at the end of January.
Spring
When spring does come I find myself trying to take it all in, I don't want to miss a bloom, drop of rain or plant emerging from the ground. I find myself stealing any moment I can to get outside and enjoy the rebirth and regeneration that spring provides (not just for the garden but for the gardener as well).
Spring
Sometimes it's hard to step back from all the to-do's that come with the spring, but doing so is important. Being able to slow down and enjoy the season is very rejuvenating to the spirit and the mind. We can all use a little warmth of the sun on our backs, a little rain on our faces, and some cool green grass under our feet. Whether you live in a climate with four seasons or no seasons, taking time to notice the difference between them is very healing to the soul - it helps connect us with the earth!

What season are you experiencing in your area of world? What part of it do you enjoy most?

I can also be found at Chiot's Run where I blog daily about gardening, cooking, local eating, beekeeping, and all kinds of stuff. You can also find me at Ethel Gloves and Not Dabbling in Normal, and you can follow me on Twitter.

5 comments:

dixiebelle said...

It's Autumn here in Australia... my favourite season where I live! We have been enjoying the last of the warm days by getting outside to play and garden, being amazed by the trees & their changing colours, making soups and pretending I can knit, and thinking about rugging up in stylish scarves and jackets... all things to embrace the coming Winter chill & dark days, rather than be sad about it!

africanaussie said...

I am also in Australia, but way up in the northern tropics. For us winter is a time when the heat and humidity finally die down and the weather becomes very pleasant. This is the season when we grow most of our "regular" type of vegetables - tomatoes and lettuces.

brendie said...

like the aussies im in autumn in NZ. i live in the town with the most sunshine hours so autumn is a welcome cooling off, time to stack firewood, think about winter crops and frost protection. no snow where i am so can grow stuff all year round. autumn and spring are my favourite seasons, i do like the autumn colours though, the trees turning orange and yellow and the grass getting greener... just magic

Robert said...

Bee colonies are stronger, with bigger broodnests, every time I look at them. The willow is over, and they're mostly on the dandelion.

Grace said...

We're transitioning from spring to early summer here in the sunny south. My garden is in South Carolina and I already have some lettuce and other early crops ready to harvest. I'll be planting lots of warm weather crops this weekend, and won't stop planting until the end of October for my 4 season garden this year. I see exactly what Rachel Carson means about the repeated refrains of nature. I've always been attuned to seasonal changes, but they are nowhere more evident than when I'm in my garden.