This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Making the Most of the Summer Heat


It's been hot hot hot a few days already here in NE Ohio so far this summer. A few days the temperature has risen into the 90's. I don't really mind the heat as long as I don't have to be out in the sun in mid-day. I do take advantage of these hot days by making the most of the high temps. I check the weather at the beginning of the week and try to plan to do a few chores on the really hot days, things like: making yogurt, making bread, laundry, and drying herbs.
Fresh Laundry
All my laundry is done on the hot days of the week, because everything dries super quickly. I also think the hot sun really helps freshen the rags and the kitchen towels. I also make the most of the heat by making yogurt on these hot days. It eliminates the need for either turning on the yogurt maker or putting it in a cooler. I simple put the jar up in the attic where it's nice & warm.
Harvesting Herbs
My attic is hot and dry, so herbs dry very quickly, no dehydrator needed. I have a window screen that we don't use that I have set between two boxes. In the morning, right after the dew evaporates I snip fresh herbs and spread them out on the screen to dry. It only takes a few hot days and the herbs are ready for the pantry.
Taking Advatage of the Heat
I love making the most of the weather because it saves me money on my electric bill by not having to use appliances to complete these tasks and it keeps my house cooler on those hot days!

In what ways do you make the most of the summer heat?

I can also be found at Chiot's Run where I blog daily about gardening, cooking, local eating, maple sugaring, and all kinds of stuff. You can also find me at Ethel Gloves, Not Dabbling in Normal, and you can follow me on Twitter.

4 comments:

Allison at Novice Life said...

I too live in NE Ohio and boy we sure did have some killer days lately haven't we :) But the last two have been refreshing.

What a great idea for drying herbs - in the attic. I never thought about that!

Your herb picture is lovely!

blanket outlast yarn temperature sensitive and outlast blankets said...

Great blog!!!
nice pictures!i really enjoyed your thinking about summer and i love your activities.

Anonymous said...

I never thought of making yogurt in the attic. I'll have to check the temperature up there during the next heat wave. Thank you for the great idea.

Barbaral said...

I am always looking for a way to get my "work" towels (cleaning, etc) to smell cleaner. We have one of those HE Washers...What does everyone use???