This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Top Travel Worry

By Eilleen
Consumption Rebellion

Hey everyone!

I hope you are all well and having a good weekend. I have just finished a major deadline at work and as I sit back now planning out my work year, I have realised that I will need to, once again, travel for work at the end of the year. This put me in mind of an older post that I wrote in my personal blog and I thought I'd share here. Note that this post was written during an intense period of work travel....

During my travels, it occurred to me that I had a particular worry that many other travellers don't have and thought I'd share:

Number 1 Worry: that my home crafted stuff will somehow have traces of bomb-making ingredients...

[Regular readers of my personal blog] would know that almost all of my crafting uses 2nd-hand materials. In fact, I can't remember the last time I used brand new materials to make something. Normally, this is not a problem for me. In fact, I really enjoy making stuff out of old stuff.

Unfortunately, when you're travelling and working a lot, crazy thoughts start spinning in your head arising from the fact that:

a. my materials have passed through many many hands before coming to me; and
b. it seems I come across too many articles citing how "easy" it is to make a bomb out of household materials.

So a few days ago, I get stopped at the airport for the random search of all my stuff. I was fine with this until the man said something along the lines of: "...traces of explosive materials...".

And that's when my confident smile slipped and quickly turned to "uncomfortable".

They scanned my handbag...
Made from an old book bought at a second-hand shop. Fabric and thread are also sourced second-hand.


They scanned my shoes....

Op-shopped shoes recovered in second-hand fabric.

They scanned my luggage...

My home crafted luggage using second hand curtains, an op shopped lawn bowls bag, and op shopped thread.


Hell, even the clothes inside my luggage were second-hand!! And as I smiled my uncomfortable smile I kept worrying that "uncomfortable" was coming across as "shifty".

It was with great relief when they finally let me go and I could rejoin my workmates.

I was not alone in my worries though! As I approached my workmates at the airport lounge, I was greeted with: "Oh thank god there were no bomb traces in your stuff!!"

...yep they all know that I made my own stuff using second hand...

At least now I know that some of my home crafted stuff is safe to travel with.

I might stick with the same travel luggage and wardrobe for next few times - I don't think I can handle the worry of my other stuff coming up with traces of something that might end up deporting me... :P

I hope you are all well.

4 comments:

Lizzie @ her homeworld said...

We were stopped in London Gatwick last year when my husbands hand luggage contained a juicer, my underwear and his heart medication. Apparently heart medication shows up the same as explosives. Bomb lady was very understanding but I was super embarrassed about my clean knickers being paraded around.

Frugal Down Under said...

Because I don't buy new, everything I own and wear is second hand from op shops. When I travel I'm super worried about drugs hidden away in my shoes or lining of clothing, especially going into zero tolerance Asian countries.

I get caught up with my imagination, there I am in front of a firing squad all due to refusing to buy new and drugs being found on my thrifted clothes.

Eilleen said...

Lizzie - oh wow! And yes it is embarrassing when they go through our clothes.

FDU - lol, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who imagines such things! :)

The Duck Herder said...

oh that's so funny Eilleen! Last week I was doing some work at a feedlot - helping them with their composting systems and sure enough in Sydney when I changed terminals the nice man picked up traces of AMMONIA on my clothes from the cow manure!

He thought it was funny. He also thought I didn't have a very glamorous life......not like those gorgeous shoes of yours and that gorgeous luggage!