This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Agents of Change

by Gavin from The Greening of Gavin & Little Green Cheese.

I have been reflecting today, and without trying to big note myself or being seen to be big headed, I believe that I have a bit of a talent to help people through changes with a couple of simple methods. 

Change in peoples lives, especially the few about to hit mankind in a few years, can cause all sorts of emotions manifest themselves.  From terror, to guilt, to a sense of excitement, anticipation and opportunity.  There are many people who resist change, and would rather continue on with the status quo, however there are some people who relish change and create opportunities to bring others along for the journey, but in a special sort of way.

One of my ways to promote change is to lead by example.  This is something that I learnt whilst in the military many moons ago.  I learnt that you cannot ask someone to do something effectively, being a task, behaviour, or change a personal value, if you don't show that you practice that task, behaviour or have that value yourself.  Sure, in the military they most probably do it because of the command structure and discipline, however they won't do it willingly and morale usually suffers.  On the other hand, if they see the person leading by practising what he/she is preaching, then they usually follow willingly and with enthusiasm.  I attempt to live up to this "lead by example value" in all aspects of my life. That was one of the reasons that I didn't begin writing my personal blog until at least 6 months after our family began our journey towards a sustainable lifestyle.  Well, that and everyone urged me to write a book about what I had done, but I thought a blog was a better idea due to the interaction you receive via comments.  I wanted to explain the how and why I turned green and what my motivation was.  You can probably tell by the way I write that I am enthusiastic and passionate about all things green and sustainable, but you probably didn't know that one of my personal values is that I do what I say I am going to do.  Another of my core values is to try and not let people down when I make a promise. I believe that it is these simple values that rub off on people, who either know me in person or read about my exploits via my writings.  It inspires people to act in a positive way, towards a common goal. 

The second special way of helping people change is to do things in such a way that they think it was their own idea in the first place.  This can be in the form of a simple suggestion, a comment during a TV ad, or leaving a magazine or book conspicuously open to a certain page at work or at home.  It can be in the form of harmless propaganda, like a poster showing benefits of a certain way of doing things.  People may think that this is a deceitful way of getting things done, but that is exactly how marketing and advertising works all around us as well.  I believe that if you have a message to give, you might as well utilise the best known way to do so.

Let me give you a simple example.  We used to spend lots of money on cleaning products at home, but now we use only two or three main items for cleaning bathrooms and the like.  Vinegar and Bicarbonate of Soda are about all we use, the type of cleaning products that our grandparents used to use.  Now to begin with my wife Kim detested the smell of vinegar and didn't believe that bicarb would do as good a job as the shiny, new, advertised chemical petroleum based products.  I had to subtlety convince her so it sounded like her idea.  I must say that I was slightly deceitful in both examples.  The first was we ran out of Windex (a blue liquid window cleaner that stinks and makes me sneeze) kind of on purpose (my bad!).  I then suggested that we try vinegar and newspaper to clean the shower glass.  After a quick demonstration on how easy the vinegar got rid of soap scum and cleaned the glass, Kim was hooked.  That is all we use now, and I only had to make it seem that it was her idea.  Another example was with bicarb soda.  Once again we accidentally ran out of dishwasher tablets (you know, the ones that cost a fortune and are toxic).  I suggested a few tablespoons of bicarb in the bottom of the machine and some vinegar as rinse aid.  Guess what, as I expected it worked well and the dishes were wonderfully clean.  It even got rid of the smell in the machine!  Once it clicked, Kim thought that we should use it to clean the shower recesses as well which works very well to remove soap scum.  I even showed her my very cool method of making a stinky sink drain smell fresh and clean by pouring quarter of a cup of bicarb down the drain and then 5 minutes later tip the same amount of vinegar, and watch the fizzy show and the smell goes away and unblocks the drain.  Much better than highly caustic Draino!  As you can see, all it took was a comment or spark and it then became that other persons idea.  No fights, no arguments, no right or wrongs, just change for the better.  Now she tells all her friends about the miracle of vinegar and bicarb. She is a clever lady, my Kim!  Love her to bits. 

So, I suppose that the moral of the story and my method/talent that I have learnt through experience is that if you tell some one to change they won't and will resist like a stubborn toddler or teenager, but if you lead by example and help them with and along the journey, change is not only inevitable, but fun as well.  This is how I find making changes to my sustainable lifestyle, easy, painless and fun.

If any readers have other subtle ways to promote change and convince others towards a more sustainable way of living (other than screaming at them), please add them via a comment.  This could turn into quite a little toolbox of tips!

12 comments:

{ T G L } said...

Thanks for this post. I think an important aspect of change is to make change feel empowering rather than intimidating. Knowing that by changing my lifestyle (ever so slowly) I am not only doing something good for others but also something empowering for myself is like a double treat :)

Wow. Vinegar and bicarbonate? I should try that sometime!

Blessings,
This Good Life

Pollo Loco Homestead said...

Excellent. My family uses these for cleaning as well...and also for shampoo and conditioner.
My usual tactic is to include everyone and make it a team effort with team goals. Seems to work most of the time, whether at the office, on a job site or with my teenage daughters.

sl.tudor said...

Hmmm...thats brilliant..will try that..well i have no problems convincing anyone to try it..i just do it..sounds harsh but if i clean then i clen with what i like..no-one complains lol..as for children trying it well my 2 tots are small and think its normal to see mummy cleaning windows with vinegar and newspaper..and making my own washing gloop..so hopefully they will carry it on..they ask why so ans so's mummy does it different but i am honest and tell them different folks do different things and as long as they are happy with what they do then thats their choice...
the vinegar and bicarb gets mixed into a paste in my house and used to clean the toilet rim,seat and lid..smells lovely and it sparkles...
take care
sara

Gavin said...

@ TGL,

Great point. Empowerment wins hands down over intimidation. Give the natural cleaners a go, you will be surprised. Even lemon juice is a fantastic grease cutter in the kitchen.

@ PLH,

Nice one. I have heard that bicarb works well as a shampoo, and vinegar as a rinse. I have not used it as I only have very short hair, and use our home made soap instead.

@ sl.tudor

A perfect example of leading by example. The kids will just adopt the great practice you have shown them.

Gav x

Wattle-Weedoo said...

A capful of eucalyptus or lavender oil added to the vinegar makes everything smell wonderful if you don't like the smell of the vinegar.

Linda said...

AND bicarb cleans our teeth, AND we use it as a deodorant - just apply like powder. It is amazing stuff!

Calidore said...

I have cleaned my house this morning with bicarb and vinegar, made up more washing "gloop" and scrubbed my kitchen and hung out the washing on the line. I kept thinking maybe it would be easier to use those cleaning agents from the stores then I realised - it might seem easier - but in the long run it isn't. My house is clean and it smells wonderful. My hands aren't itching from all those chemicals and I have saved all that money as well. Thank you for such a positive post.

Lisa said...

Thanks for a great reminder about spreading the word.

My mother is a chemical cleaner and cannot believe my laundry is clean as it doesnt smell of some floral scent! I think I might get her some soap nuts! No loss to her if she hasnt bought them!

Anonymous said...

Hi Gavin, Barbara Lord in her book 'The Green Cleaner', which she published in 1989 trumpeted the virtues of bicarb and vinegar as well as other eco friendly products. My grandmother who survived the war years with very little simply used home made soap and water. Just as good as bi carb and vinegar, she said. The "living sustainably' generation is just re-inventing the wheel.

Amy said...

Hi Gavin, thank you for your post - it is a great reminder that I don't have to save the world today! That small changes are what will last, and that influence is a gradual process. I so want it to be instant, and HUGE,which is very unsustainable and unrealistic really! So thank you for the reminder to keep going after the small changes. After all, my hubby unplugs the microwave when not in use these days, something learned from being married to me!

Nina said...

I recently visited family and friends in UK and noticed how much greener they have become in the last five or so years. Universaly they have dumped oil based disposable cleaning cloths and sponges for knitted dishwashers, woven dusters etc(some of which were lovingly hand knitted)The cloths are simply boiled or put in with the washing way before they get grotty. It made me think how many small everyday things that have become disposable over the last few decades can be returned to the reusable original.
Sorry to hear about blog attacks, please keep up the good work, its inspirational!

Kate said...

I find it works well if you can just give small, easy to accomplish ideas to people first. Never bombard them with all the facts and figures you have accumulated over many years, when they are just beginning their green road. Be excited for the small improvements they are making. Encouragement works much better than criticism or terrifying them!