This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Early July Garden Checklist

by Throwback at Trapper Creek



Early July in the garden is certainly when I think I suffer from TMG (too much garden.) Everywhere I look I see something that needs doing right now. Instead of putting out fires I try to methodically work my way through the list and the garden chores.

My garden checklist:

Weed - this slows down by late July.

Hill potatoes.

Thin root vegetables.

Harvest garlic scapes.

Side dress heavy feeding crops like corn, brassicas and squash.

Continue trellising tomatoes.

Secure pepper plants to stakes.

Continue seeding succession crops.

Start transplanting first winter crops.

Seed fall and winter crops.


That's what I am up to in my garden, what's on your July garden checklist?

3 comments:

localnourishment.com said...

I'm putting in autumn lettuce and carrots today. Later this week I'm building a raised bed for cabbage, MORE lettuce (can't have enough lettuce) and sugar snap peas. Before the end of the month I need a plan for my autumn/winter garden. I have a single tomato on one of six plants that's been staring me down with its green glare for six weeks. Tomatoes just aren't doing well this year.

Jaesi said...

A forest garden! I haven't quite narrowed it down to steps yet lol.

Sheryl at Providence Acres Farm said...

Much like your list! This is a busy time for us, as well. There are always new projects that need to be finished before winter comes. I am busy doing all the little chores in the garden and putting up the veggies as they come it.