This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Monday, August 22, 2011

Garden Time Summer Slaw

by Throwback at Trapper Creek

I live in cabbage country. Everywhere you see farm fields you're likely to see cabbage. From glaucous blue to raucous red, cabbage is everywhere. That also means cabbage is pretty easy to grow here in the home garden too.


At a potluck one time I had the most delicious coleslaw, and was lucky enough to get the recipe from the cabbage farmer herself. It's light and crunchy, and gets better with age, the perfect dish to have waiting for you on a hot summer day. Featuring a few staples from the garden and pantry, this is the perfect time of year in the garden to make this easy slaw.




REFRIGERATOR SLAW

1 Medium head of cabbage, shredded or chopped fine.
2 – 3 carrots, grated.
1 medium sweet onion, grated.
1 green pepper, grated.
1 Tablespoon salt.
Black pepper to taste.

1/3 cup cider vinegar or strong Kombucha.
1/3 cup olive oil.
1/3 cup sugar or honey.

Mix first 5 ingredients, and let sit while you: heat vinegar, oil and sugar to just boiling. Pour over slaw. Mix well and refrigerate at least 2 hours before eating. The original recipe says it will keep six weeks in the fridge, but it never lasts that long – I eat this stuff for a mid-morning snack. There is usually dressing left over and I save that and use it on the next batch.



7 comments:

Treasures Evermore said...

This recipe sounds wonderful...and our family LOVES coleslaw.

Thank you for the recipe.

gld said...

Cabbage time is over here. This recipe sounds wonderful. I do a similar one only there is celery seed in the dressing and it doesn't call for carrots.

I think yours would be better.

Hayden said...

Yummm - I like the sound of this. I do something quite similar, but I don't heat the oil/vinegar/honey and I'm willing to bet that it makes a HUGE difference. I love salads that last in the fridge - I try not to have to make a chopped/shredded salad more than once a week, and I eat a ton of it. I'll try making this one up tomorrow.

Sue xx said...

mmm Love the sound of this...does it ferment slightly?
Soon be summer here so will keep a note to make some.
Thank you for sharing the recipe.

Emily said...

Those are some good-looking veggies!

Killiecrankie Farm said...

bring on the Summer !
Yummmmm !

Wendy said...

I am going to try this recipe - just printed it out