This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Home Made Pizza

The Saturday night treat at our house is pizza.  Not the horrible takeaway stuff dripping grease and fat, but the kind that Kim and I pitch in and make from scratch.  When we have the right vegetables in season, they smother the top.

First of all she makes the pizza dough, which was simply the same recipe we use for making a loaf of bread.  We through the ingredients in the bread-maker as per the instructions on the pre-mix bread flour from Laucke and set the bread-maker to the dough setting and come back in an hour and a half.  When the dough has finished, she takes the dough out of the pan and rolls it in a little flour and starts to toss it in the air just like an Italian pizza shop.  I wait for her to drop it, but she is very skillful.  Here is the finished dough laid out on a pizza tray with tomato paste all over it.  Lately we have been using organic tomato salsa as the base, which tastes much better than plain tomato paste.

Pizza 002
 
Next are all the toppings.  Kim sometimes makes a bit of a four seasons pizza (four different quarters) with a big slice for everyone's individual tastes.

Pizza 001


As you can see there is a little bit of everything for everyone.  I grew the tomato, onions, and one of the green capsicums (peppers) in this picture.  Here is the fully dressed pizza with a little bit of cheese on top.  Now that I know how to make mozzarella, we use that instead of grated cheddar.

Pizza 003


Into the oven for 15 minutes on 190C degrees, and then 10 minutes at 170 degrees C or until cooked.  This is what it comes out like after baking.  A little bit crispy on the outsides, but that is how we like it.

Pizza 004


The pineapple is Kim' piece, mine is the circle of tomato, DD is the half a tomato, and #2 son's is the quarter of a tomato.  Very cute, just like the four little bears.

It was absolutely fabulous, and so simple to make.  The next job on my plate is to finish our clay cob oven oven outside which I have been working on.  Back breaking work over the last weekend, but well worth it if this is one of the things we are going to cook in it!

8 comments:

louisa @ TheReallyGoodLife said...

We tend to have pizza most Friday nights - by which point we're end-of-the-week tired.

As we don't have a breadmaker, I've started making big batches of dough in one session, making 6-8 bases at a time, which get part-baked then wrapped in foil and frozen.

Since they're thin, they only take a few minutes to defrost again but it means we can have homemade pizza in a fraction of the time/effort on those dog-tired days.

It takes less than 15 minutes to decorate and bake our pizzas - far quicker than to have a greasy pie delivered!

Gavin said...

Louisa, Pre-making the bases is a great idea! Why didn't we think of that.

Gav x

seema said...

nice...!

Frugal Down Under said...

My mouth is salivating.

When I'm bone tired I just get pita bread or something similar - throw on anything I can find in the cupboard and fridge. Within 10 minutes we are eating and licking our fingers.

Yum. I think I will plan it for tomorrows dinner.

Melinda said...

I use a recipe from Peter Reinhart for pizza dough, it's a semi-sourdough recipe. http://livefireonline.com/2009/08/24/pizzacrust/ Always always always use the olive oil in the dough, it makes a huge difference to the finished pizza. Usually I freeze the dough and defrost it the night before using. I don't let it rest for two hours out of the fridge though, I just roll/press it out cold. The recipe makes four very thin 14" pizzas.

I have also made the dough, chilled it in the fridge overnight and then rolled out the crust and frozen it. Works brilliantly and makes a fast pizza on a tired night much easier!

mountainwildlife said...

We have just started making bases too- so easy I'm kicking myself for not doing it earlier! I use the recipe from the river cottage bread book, turns our great.

I am really interested in making a clay oven (we even have an old brick BBQ marked as the oven place!) so I will be reading your posts with great interest and taking notes!

:-)

Steve said...

I've been making my own pizza for some time now, and my family loves it. One thing that has made it even easier for us is to partly bake the empty pizza crusts and freeze them. Then you can have pizza whenever the mood strikes,and not have to wait for the dough to rise. We found a large round tupperware container that holds 4-5 crusts with wax paper between each crust. The only other change we've made is to make sure that all toppings are cooked. It saves time and troubles since everything is then ready to go! Thanks Gavin for sharing your post!

carol hardie said...

i have Pizza every Saturday night,the recipe i use for the dough makes 3 large Pizza's,we eat one and freeze the other's for whenever we get the want's for a Pizza during the week,and i cook them in a little Pizza Oven,with a rotating stone,it's so cute,and get's very hot,i just love it!!thank's for your great post Gavin !