Thursday, 22 September 2011

Great Grandma Goldsack's Mock Chicken Spread

by Amanda of Amanda Brooke

I am proud to belong to a family inspired by keen homemakers and great cooks. Amongst my handwritten recipes are many favourites saved from now, long deceased relatives.

When I left home my mum gifted me a small, brown, vinyl covered recipe book and inside were many of my family favourites, with some space to create new ones. I often make the tried and true recipes from this book, as they give me comfort, create a feeling of connection to my family and they never, ever fail me.

One of my favourite family recipes is a simple sandwich spread which hasn't been made here for a while. As I have reduced unhealthy and expensive 'deli-cut meats' from our weekly shop, I decided that this could be a great spread to make regularly, adding some delicious flavour to summer salad sandwiches.

My Great Grandma Goldsack made this spread to slather on freshly made baked bread. She would make a few jars and pass these on to my Nana for her family. They would often be presented in drinking glasses with a buttered brown paper circle to seal.

This spread also makes a great dip for dry biscuits and would even make a nice chicken stuffing.

GREAT GRANDMA GOLDSACKS MOCK CHICKEN SPREAD

1 tomato
1 onion
1 tsp butter
1 tb breadcrumbs
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
Cheese, finely grated
Mixed Herbs

Firstly prepare your ingredients: (Please note I doubled this recipe today)


Dice tomatoes and onion.


Grate the cheese finely. I added the salt and mixed herbs to the cheese.


Make your breadcrumbs. I used 3 slices of stale crusts and processed them coarsely.


Fry the tomato and onion in a pan on a low heat with the butter. Do not allow the onion to brown/fry golden, you just want to slowly cook this just enough for the onion to become transparent.


Beat the egg and add to the pan with the remaining ingredients.


Heat just long enough for egg to be cooked through.


Bottle, label and keep in fridge for up to 1 week.

I doubled the recipe today and only used a 1/4 tsp salt, around 100gms of cheese and 3 tomotoes, as ours were smaller than the home grown variety that would have been used in this recipe.

I love recipes that reflect simpler times, using fresh produce and are packed with full flavours and homemade goodness. Let me know if you try this recipe and if you have any suggestions for other savoury spreads. I would love to read any links or suggestions.

Amanda