Saturday, 1 October 2011

Chicken and Apple Sandwich Spread

by Eilleen

Hello everyone!

I hope you are having a good start of the weekend (and for those in Australia and the UK, a good start to the long weekend).

With summer around the corner, I've started turning my mind now to quick, no-cook but still filling and yummy meals for myself and my family. I've been googling for ideas and came across the idea of making my own sandwich spreads. I've tried savoury pre-made sandwich spreads from the shops but have yet to come across any that I liked.

Yesterday, it was my turn to contribute to my work's fortnightly morning tea. So I thought I'd give making my own sandwich spread to try it out. Like always, I got the basic idea from various recipes on the net and then just made my own. This is my version of the Chicken and Apple Sandwich Spread (note that all quantities are to taste but I have added approximates):

Shredded roast chicken meat (1/2 the chicken - kids and I ate the other half as...roast chicken..haha)
2 red delicious apples, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
3 heaped tbsps honey mustard
4 heaped tbsps mayonnaise
1 heaped tbsps ranch dressing
pinch of cumin
pinch of paprika
shallots for garnish

Mix all of the above in a bowl. Serve with your favourite bread! In my case, I used wholewheat mini pita pockets.


Glad to say that it was a big hit at morning tea. I should've made more!

Do you have a favourite sandwich spread recipe or no-cook summer meal idea? I'd love to hear it!