This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Monday, October 10, 2011

Fresh Tomato Salsa



I'm loving all the fresh flavours we're getting here in New Zealand as we make our way through Spring. My husband and I eat these burritos a lot over the warmer months - they're so quick to make. The mince mixture is delicious with fresh flour tortillas, and you can just add whatever lovely salad vegetables you have on hand.






I soften onions and garlic in a large frypan, then add good quality beef mince, cumin, chilli (powder, or chopped fresh chilli), dried oregano, paprika, a little tomato paste and a can of kidney beans. While that cooks, I prepare the other burrito fillings, and make this fresh tomato salsa.









Fresh Tomato Salsa

enough to serve 4 with burritos




2 large tomatoes (or you could use cherry tomatoes)

1/2 a red onion

1/2 a red capsicum

a few peppadew peppers, if you like them

good handful of fresh coriander or mint, or a combination of both

1 lime, zest and juice (lemon works too)

1 tsp ground cumin

1/2 tsp sugar

a splash of hot chilli sauce (optional)

salt and pepper, to taste






Chop the tomatoes, red onion, capsicum and peppadews as coarsely or as finely as you like. Then toss everything together in a bowl and season to taste.



You can also use up other bits and pieces that might be lurking in your fridge - I added a couple of tablespoons of leftover tinned tomatoes, and also added a spoonful of my harissa paste. You might also like to include garlic, or even some finely grated ginger.



The salsa is great in burritos as suggested above, but can also be used in salads, or served alongside fish or chicken. It's also a great healthy dip, and a yummy bruschetta topping. Enjoy!



1 comment:

ThinkGreen LovePurple said...

This looks so good! Coincidentally, I just picked a bunch of tomatoes today, so I think I will make some salsa now!