This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

UFO's and Christmas

by Throwback at Trapper Creek



The cats have absolutely nothing to do with UnFinished Objects in my sewing room, except to remind me that I don't have much time to rest if I think I am going to sew gifts for Christmas!

Harvest time is still winding down in the gardens, but night is getting here much sooner these days, leaving me more time for needlework projects.

I have also been thinking of the economy and not really feeling like being much of a consumer this holiday season. Rather I would like to make good on projects I have already started. I have several unfinished projects that would actually make great gifts. A denim work shirt for my husband, a pair of flannel pajamas for my daughter and maybe a new quilt for my bed, fashioned from a quilt top that is crying out for batting and binding. I have spent the money, I need the space, and a lot of the work is already done! What could be more fitting in a bad economy?

Are you thinking along the same lines this holiday season? What projects are in the works in your Christmas basket?

4 comments:

Sherlyn said...

Hats off to you ! I really have a special place for creative people like you in my heart:) How you make such wonderful things for your family ! Sewing could be fun if you expertise in it.I hope I do it one day!
check this -
Am I Creative?
Do you have the ability to generate new ideas, use imagination and make new decision?
http://www.3smartcubes.com/pages/tests/creative/creative_instructions.asp

Kirsty @ Bowerbird Blue said...

One day at a time for me, Xmas seems like yonks away. Love a hand crafted gift though - look forward to seeing your creations.

Xa Lynn said...

We're doing the same thing in our family here - Cutting consumption and handcrafting Christmas instead. My SIL is the last person in the family I haven't given a quilt to, so she gets hers this year. My oldest child is making everyone those woven potholders from my own childhood. And there will be an exchange of Kindle books instead of physical books this year...

Xa Lynn

Winter said...

Very cool. Yeah, we do alot of hand crafted and home made gifts. The kids each get to pick a cooking project for their gifts. Chocolate covered pretzels, peanut-butter balls dusted with cocoa, and honey and cheddar corn muffins are the favs. I crochet and do a little jewelry making so I'm working on son #2s blanket at the moment and will be making earings and bracelets for the girls. Just saw a great post on a handmade wallet http://simple-green-frugal-co-op.blogspot.com/2011/10/handmade-manly-gifts.html I am looking at for my husband..not too sure about Son #1 yet...but he is the sentimental type, soIi may do a scrapbook or some such for him. I am NOT a scrapbooker, but I have friends..lol I have scads of fabric from old sheets i wanted to turn into simple stuffed animals but I want to see if someone has a pattern they are willing to let me recycle first...i'm no good with sewing without one. That's my Christmas thoughts...thanks for sharing!!