This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Cloth baby wipes and cleaning solution

by Amanda of Amanda Brooke

It has been 10 months since our youngest was born and I am still dedicated to using re-usable wipes and my own cleanser at change times. It may sound strange to some, but I really enjoy nappy change times, using handmade products that I have blended and experimenting with materials for wipes.


The recipe I love most for cleansing bottoms is:

1tsp natural/organic SLS FREE baby bath wash (I use the Little Innoscents body wash)
1tsp almond oil
250ml cooled boiled water
Mix in a spray bottle and shake before each use.

I spray the cloth wipes and then use, but you can spray directly onto an older baby's bottom. This mix needs replacing regularly, but I like that it is fresh each time I make a batch. You can also make up tubs of cleanser and soak your cloth wipes in the solution, but I would recommend that you replace the solution daily for this method.

Some other ingredients that can be used in this recipe in small quantities are:
  • Manuka honey (1/2 tb in the above recipe)
  • Vitamin E capsules (1/2 capsule - not synthetic E)
  • Essential oils (only oils that are safe for infants and use only as directed at the right ratio babies and the solution base)
  • Pure Aloe Vera gel (1 tb)
Or you can just use plain water without any additives!


My favourite wipes are ones made from upcycled flannel baby blankets and bamboo velour. I just throw the soiled ones in with the nappies and the wet ones go in with the baby's clothes. Wipes are really fast and simple to make and don't need to be any special. Just a square cloth that has been over locked around the edges is fine but I make mine double sided with top stitched edges to make them last. I also use terry cloths, but I much prefer the softness of the flannel and bamboo velour variety. You will need at least 24 to 36 wipes for your baby.

Some of the reasons you might like to consider using cloth wipes are:
  • Your baby has sensitive skin
  • You wish to avoid the chemicals found in most commercial baby wipes
  • You wish to save money
If you don't want to make your own wipes there are plenty of online shops that stock cloth wipes. You will find wipes made in gorgeous rainbows of colours, bamboo, organic cotton and more! Often the hand crafted websites Etsy and Madeit have WAHM's who make wipes too.

BABY WIPES TIPS
  • You can re-use some of the stronger varieties of disposable wipes by throwing them in the wash. They will last around two to three washes before starting to fall apart and this makes your dollars stretch a bit further if you use these full or part time.
  • You might like to consider some of the more natural varieties of disposable wipes. They are generally dearer but your baby will be exposed to less chemicals and this has to be a good thing. Combining the use of these or the non-natural variety with cloth wipes will save you money too.
  • For short trips travelling with cloth wipes use a good quality wet bag to store and pre-soak your wipes.
  • Cloth wipes also make great face and hand cleaners at meal times and you can upcycle them to the rag bag when you no longer require them to be used as baby wipes.
  • Hand made wipes make a lovely gift for a new mum. Make a stack and tie them with hemp string for a thoughtful, eco-friendly gift.
What are your experiences with cloth wipes and solution?

Amanda x

6 comments:

jessieimproved said...

I used cloth wipes and homemade solution too! The only thing in my solution that was different is that I used olive oil instead of almond oil. You can also replace the water with chamomile tea for diaper rash - although DD rarely had a rash with cloth!

owlfan said...

I used cloth wipes and warm water with my kids. I did use disposables for traveling though - it was just easier. But it meant that a tub of wipes lasted months!

Tania said...

I love cloth wipes too. I made a huge batch of them while pregnant out of old flannel sheets sewing two together with zig zag stitch. They are not as pretty as yours though! We use water here but I do like the sound of your wipes mixture.

LadyLeaves said...

Thank you for your post. I have been thinking about these for a long time. I like the idea of using the flannel and the solution sounds lovely. You have inspired me :-)

The Younger Rachael said...

I cut up a bunch of Hubby's white undershirts that had yellowed in the wash. So, my wipes are a variety of sizes and shapes, but that works for me. funny thing, they are a very nice white now!

Maeve said...

Another idea for the cloth wipes is one I came across on Crunchy Chicken a couple years back- use them for big people too! It is pretty shocking when you realize just how much paper is being flushed into the water system to clean up our rears.