This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Friday, November 4, 2011

keeping warmer


by Francesca @ FuoriBorgo

chimney

One problem with living in an ancient stone house built directly above a chill, humid wine cellar is that, though it's wonderfully cool in summer, heating it in the cold season is hard.  To keep heating costs down (while not freezing to death), we've found some simple and efficient ways to stay warm - which I wrote about on FuoriBorgo last year (I've linked the relevant posts below).

hot water bottle

-    Hot water bottles - a time-tested and yet vastly underestimated method of keeping warmer.
-    Felted blanket curtain - we added a thick layer of insulation to our largest double-glazed window.
-    Warm slippers - yes, warm feet do make a huge difference!

How do you keep warm in your wintry house?

7 comments:

The Younger Rachael said...

I'm still figuring this out! We only need to heat 2 or 3 months in a year, and then we only heat to 60'. That's chilly, but I'd rather have the $$ to spend on other stuff. But this means me in 2 or 3 layers, wearing a hat and, likely, a scarf, thick socks and slippers.

This year, I have a baby to think about, too. So far, the house has gotten down into the 60's during the night, but warms up each day.
We've done fine so far, but I'm concerned about teh chillier months to come.

Donna OShaughnessy said...

Our old farmhouse is 115 this year. I tape plastic sheets on the inside windows, we wear sweaters, but the best trick is...we work for long periods outside so being inside always feels better.

EMK said...

When I was very young, my mother and I camped in the woods during winter. She was planting trees. I still remember the warmth of our hot water bottles. They are great if you get caught in bad weather camping too.

martine said...

For years when my children were very small and we had no central heating I used to warm their beds with hot water bottled before they went to bed, so they were always very cosy, I still swear by them:-)
thanks for sharing
martine

trashmaster46 said...

How do we keep warm? Cats. Lots of cats.

quinn said...

I've learned that it is much easier to not let my feet get cold, than it is to warm them up again. So, no quick barefoot trips out of bed just to reload the woodstove or use the bathroom or let the dog in or out. I can't believe how any years I lived without slippers or thick housesocks!

Amanda said...

Have you thought about a homemade solar heater in the south and east windows? I do oven cooking in the evenings and do power yoga to warm up.