This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Rainy day birthday party activities


by Eilleen

Hello everyone!

Today is my daughter's birthday party. We were going to have her party at the local community festival but....

Today's weather

So the party is now at my house. EEEK! At times like these, I prefer to keep things simple. I figure that for 15 children (ages 7 to 9), I would only need two pre-set activities for them. They are, after all, old enough to really entertain themselves.

The first activity is craft. I had planned on making them these fairy headbands out of newspaper, paper flowers and ribbon so I can easily spot them all in the festival. Now, I figure they can make it themselves! (Luckily I had already pre-cut the paper flowers.)

Fairy headband materials box

Here is the video tutorial I found on Youtube for this idea:



And the other activity? Karaoke! (Thank you Mum and Dad for lending me your karaoke machine in the last minute!)



Anyway, I best go and prepare my house for the onslaught of 13 tween girls, and two little boys (her brother and a friend)!

In the meantime, do you have any stories of rained out outdoor children's parties? What did you end up doing?

4 comments:

queen of string said...

One of the nicest things I have seen is to paint an old, large picture frame and suspend from the ceiling and then use it as a frame to take photos of the kids ( wearing their new headbands of course!). Fun and a lovely record of the day.

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Your indoor birthday party activities sound like super fun :) :)

Eilleen said...

Thanks both of you for your comment!

Party went well! Funny enough, the rain stopped 30 mins before the party started and it cleared (complete with blue skies). So we still did the fairy bands and karaoke, but we managed to all walk to the festival and hang out there for an hour.

Then 30 mins after the party finished, it bucketed down again! The timing was amazing!

Megan.K. said...

Touch wood, it has rained for only two out of 18 birthdays combined for my three kids so far. (WOW! Having just written that, realising how lucky we've been).
My eldest's 10th birthday rained and we, too, did Karaoke - it was a hoot.
Glad to hear the skies cleared for your party :)