Monday, 7 November 2011

White Coleslaw


Here in New Zealand the barbecue season is just getting started. Our weather is getting warmer and the spring lamb and summer fruit and vegetables are starting to appear in markets.

Summer pot luck barbecues are a bit of an institution in New Zealand, so I thought I'd write my next few posts about barbecue season dishes. Every summer I seem to be scratching my head for a new salad or dessert to take to a barbecue - last week I used an old recipe I had forgotten about, and it was a hit! It's certainly simple and green! It's also healthy, tasty, and very easy. Perfect to take to your next neighbourhood barbecue.





White Coleslaw
300g white cabbage, shredded
1 green capsicum (bell pepper), sliced
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
4 spring onions (scallions), sliced
1/2 Tbsp dijon mustard
1 tsp horseradish cream
1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
1 Tbsp white vinegar
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp reduced fat mayonnaise
pinch cayenne pepper
chopped fresh dill, to taste
Toss the prepared cabbage, capsicum, celery and spring onions together. In a small bowl, mix the mustard and horseradish with the Tabasco sauce and white vinegar. Gradually whisk in the olive oil, then add the mayonnaise and cayenne pepper (I also added a spoonful of wholegrain mustard). Season and toss the dressing through the salad, adding the fresh dill as you go.