Friday, 9 December 2011

Christmas Tins as Reusable "Wrapping"

by Sadge, at Firesign Farm
I'm slowly getting my house decor changed over from autumnal to holiday reds and greens. Over the years, I've amassed quite a collection of Christmas tins. Some are used year round - a red one holds buttons, a tall popcorn tin holds toys for when friends with young children stop by to visit. During the rest of the year, some of them make crush- and dust-proof containers for my lights and Christmas linens; others all nest, one inside the other like Russian dolls, for storage.

But at Christmas time, they all end up under the tree - so many that I purposely leave the bottom tier of branches in the box to have enough room (that's Aries' first bicycle, down out of the garage rafters, completing the display). Some periodically end up on my kitchen counter through the season, holding home-baked goodies until I put together gift platefuls for the neighbors. But others we use to hold our gifts to each other. Of course, we're adults here, operating (I hope) on the honor system. If you pick up a tin to use, and there's something already in it, it goes back under the tree until Christmas. No peeking!