This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Saturday, December 10, 2011

How to replace trouser or jeans zippers

by Eilleen

Currently, I have a small pile of clothes that require mending. Its funny, a few years ago, a "mending pile" would've been quite foreign to me. Whenever I lost a button or a catch came loose, I threw that item of clothing away....such waste is quite embarrassing to me now.

Now when I see my mending pile, I feel quite proud. That mending pile is a sign of how far I've come in learning how to sew.

Recently, I tackled something I have not done before. Replacing trouser or jeans zippers. It turned out quite well, so I thought I'd share how I did it here:

1. Carefully unpick the busted zipper with a seam ripper. Note how the whole thing is stitched. This will help you later on when you are sewing its replacement back in.



2. Position your new zipper (make sure its the same length!), using the old stitching holes as a guide. Use lots of pins to hold it in place!



3. On the flap that has the button closing at the top, sew the zipper down one side. Now I found it easier to do this by keeping the zip closed.

4. The other flap, you will need to hand sew so the stitches can't be seen on the outside. There's no getting around that one unless if you want to unpick the construction of the pants entirely so you can sew the flaps with a sewing machine and then sew the flaps back into the jeans/trousers! It really is easier just to hand sew the thing making sure that you are going through the zipper and the flap but NOT the outer part of the jeans.



And that's it! Sorry I didn't take a photo of the final product and I've now given the pants back to its owner.

Hopefully what I said makes sense. If you have any mending tips or tutorials you would like to share, please post it here!

No comments: