This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Days Like These

By: Notes From The Frugal Trenches



















It is days like these when we have nowhere to go and no real commitments, that I wonder why it isn't possible to be still more often. Today I declared it was a "home day". And just what is a home day? A day where we never leave home; no shoes need to be put on, no hats, scarves or gloves need to be tackled. It's a day where I stand at the window, cup of tea in hand and watch the world go by. It is a day where I enjoy simple crafts with my children, no one needing to be hurried, no one making us late. It is a day where I smell curries and soups and muffins cooking and baking, ready to nourish us through far too many busy and hurried days ahead.

It is days like these where I reflect on our choices, our dreams, our aspirations and instead of planning I think "be still". It is days like these where I accomplish our greatest goal - simplicity. It is days like these when absolutely everything else can wait and I'm reminded of a favourite poem...

Cleaning and cooking can wait 'till tomorrow
For babies grow up, as we've learned to our sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs, dust go to sleep,
I'm rocking my baby, and babies don't keep

Anon

It is days like these, where my greatest wish for this world is for everyone to stop. Stop the negative and anxious thoughts. Stop the dash to the shops. Stop the hurried list of things to do. Stop. Stop. Stop. Be still. Be still. Be still.

I hope each person reading this soon has a plan to be still. To breathe. To relax. To be...

5 comments:

willywagtail said...

I to have a need to just be. After the sorrow of losing dearest ones you need time to heal the little grey matter and the all the other cells as well. 'What is this life, If full of care, We have no time, To stop and stare....' Loved that poem sinc e I was nine or ten. Cherrie

rebekah @ justfordaisy said...

What a beautiful little poem that is and all too true! x

Jen R said...

love days like these...just had one myself whilst the kids were at school...went know where, talked to no one and just 'was'

CallieK said...

That's from Song for a Fifth Child by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton! It was taped to the door of my brother's room when he was a baby - he was the 5th child in our family (my parents went on to adopt 8 more kids after he was born!)

Domestic Artisan said...

Such a gorgeous poem, gave me shivers. We stop each Friday, we need to.