This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Friday, May 25, 2012

New Post for my Handtool "Shed"

by Sadge, at Firesign Farm
I've written about using a huge rural-type mailbox as a handtool "shed" out in my garden, a few years ago, here. It's a great way to keep my tools close-at-hand, easy to keep track of, and protected from my harsh climate.

While it still sits right inside the garden gate nearest the house, over time I've made some improvements to that area. When we reconfigured the garden fence, I replaced the wire gate with an old arbor, salvaged from when they were tearing down an old house down the street, rebuilt, and given a new coat of paint.

Last fall, I made a new cushion for my garden chair. This spring, the old spool I used as a garden table was leaning precariously. So I sketched out what I wanted and had Aries put together a new support post for my "shed." The smaller footprint of a post instead of the spool makes the whole area look cleaner, plus gives me a spot underneath to store the rocks I use for holding down protective covers and netting. The post puts the box up higher, so I don't have to bend over to rummage around at the very back. And the two shelves give me plenty of room for my clipboard, solar radio, seeds and plants awaiting their turn in the dirt. Plus, we adjusted the bigger, lower shelf to be just the right height to hold a cold drink when I sit down for a rest, or just to admire my work in progress.

5 comments:

Janet said...

I love this idea! I will keep my eyes open for one of these huge mailboxes. I live in the city but Manitoba is mostly rural and there are lots of farms and such.

Thanks for the great idea - you could decorate them in a million ways too!

Janet

risa bear said...

We thought of that too, and ours is a regular sized one, perched on the compost bin.

Archer's Mum said...

looks fantastic!!

quinn said...

Excellent design - functional and attractive! This would make a good "Instructable" :)

Annodear said...

Love how you've transformed your sitting and storage space!!