This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A Peck Of Pickled Peppers!

by Gavin Webber from The Greening of Gavin and Little Green Cheese

When you have a glut of capsicums (peppers), there are a few ways to preserve them.  You can chop them up and simply freeze them, or you can roast them and preserve them in oil (but keep them in the fridge), or you can pickle them.

I prefer pickling, because the finished product can go in the pantry without taking up valuable refrigeration space, that in turn costs money.


So I had harvested a couple of types.  I planted a yellow and green long capsicum in late November last year, and harvested these last Sunday.  The red and orange ones are fiery hot, but the green and yellow are a lot milder and right for pickling.


I just slice them cross ways, seeds and all.


Cook up a litre of pickling vinegar which contains half a cup of sugar, 1 bay leaf, 1 tablespoon of pickling spice and simmer for 15 minutes.  I let the pickling vinegar completely cool before adding them to the jars.


Then I pack the sliced capsicum into sterilised jars.  These jars (below) used to have anchovies in them, and they were reusable, we kept them for preserving.


Don't they look nice?  In three weeks time they will be ready to eat.  We will use them on pizza, in soups and casseroles or in salads through the winter.


They should last for a year (if we don't eat them first).  I find this method so simple, and full of flavour.  Does anyone else use this kind of method to preserve types of vegetables?

8 comments:

Marijke VanderVlist said...

Hi Gavin. Not using this method, yet, my garden isn’t bearing any gluts. That is other then cucumbers, would it work for those as well?
Did you make up your own batch of pickling spices, never seen them sold as such before.
Cheers, Marijke

jimi said...

I am for sure returning again for more contents of yours.
TreeandLawnCare

tpals said...

I chopped and dehydrated my extra bell peppers last harvest. They keep nicely in a jar.

Winter said...

You can get pickling spices premixed at many grocery stores. I use McCormick's it has a great flavor.

Is this a sweet pickled pepper? I have had the more vinegary type and didn't like them much but one time I was given a lovely jar of some sweet ones and they were fabulous. I have been looking for a recipe ever since

Dea-chan said...

I mostly use my peppers in my tomato sauce. :-P Or in chili. But I've never dealt with them on their own.

Sadge said...

I string some up into ristras, to dry. And smoke-dry some of the jalapenos into chipotles.

Anonymous said...

I tried pickling some of my cucumbers for the first time this year, and it's great, I love the vinegary crunch, eat them with farmhouse cheddar and crackers mainly, but I'm sure we'll find other ways....

Gabriela Steve said...

Thanks for sharing about your pickling method:)We just started fermenting vegetables to create pro-biotics for a stronger immune system. We currently have a couple of jars of cabbage in the process of fermentation. We just used water and salt. Hopefully it works out. Do you have any tips for fermenting vegetables?