This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Extending Dishwasher Powder

by Amanda of Live Life Simply


This year we added a dishwasher to our kitchen. It wasn't a decision that we made overnight. We thought long and hard about the pro's and cons of having one and in the end there was more positives than negatives. We use it every second day. I like having a dishwasher.

I have been experimenting with dishwasher powders and tablets, trying to come up with a way of reducing the costs by making our own. I tried a few recipes I found on the internet and also tried halving the dose of a tablet and powder, but I wasn't getting consistent results. One of my Facebook readers suggested a recipe which I adapted and it works brilliantly for me. Because it isn't made entirely from scratch and still uses commercially prepared cleaner I have labelled it an 'extender'. It is tripling the use of one bottle of powder cleaner - saving us money!

This is the recipe I am using and love:

1 cup of Ecostore Dishwasher powder
2 cups of bi-carb soda
1/2 cup of salt

Store in a glass jar out of children's reach.
Use 1 to 2 tablespoons per load

Many other recipes use citric acid, borax, essential oils, regular dish washing detergent and a 1/2 cup of vinegar poured into the base of the washer. So far I haven't added any of these to this recipe. Unfortunately homemade recipes don't always work for everybody and little bit persistence and trial and error is required. I'd love to read any recipes you have found work for you!

Amanda x




10 comments:

jessi spencer said...

2 c Borax
2 c Baking Soda
4 packets of Sugar Free Lemonade [[like Kool-Aid]]

white vinegar goes in where you would normally put your rinse aid.

Store in an air tight container and use 2 TBSP per load [[1 in the locking cup and 1 in the extra spot.]]

I used this for a while and had pretty good results. =]

ms lottie said...

I just tip out half my eco-store powder into an empty bottle and fill up the rest with baking soda. Easy and it seems to work for me. I put white vinegar into my rinse aid dispenser too.

Joolzmac said...

Hi Rhonda,

I made a batch of your dishwasher powder but had terrible results - disappointing considering I use rain water in our machine. I had sediment in all my glasses and several plates had baked on leftovers. As you say, it's not for everyone. I will use the powder for cleaning other things around the home - I would assume it would clean my oven door if I make a paste - and my stainless steel laundry sink?

I am however, a total convert to Eco Store products. I bought a pack of 30 dish tabs for $10! I am having good results so far. I use the Orange & Patchoouli hand wash in our bathrooms and I love the lemon dishwashing liquid for the kitchen. If I buy these on sale, they are really economical and last really well - don't tell my hubby that I dilute the hand cleaner!

Cheers - Joolz

Tracey said...

Love it! we are like you and only just got the dishwasher after much deliberation. I've been using the ecostore on its own, but I'm going to try this out! :)

Jane said...

Wow, what a brilliant idea! We use the Ecostore stuff (I love their products) and I had been considering trying making some from a recipe but this sounds like the perfect combo.

Alison said...

I will be trying out this once we get our long dreamed of dishwasher in our next kitchen. I can't wait!

amanda@Live Life Simply said...

Thanks for the recipe Jessi...I'll give it a try when my 'extender' runs out. I must try the vinegar Ms Lottie, but so far the results have been good and I haven't found the need for anything extra.

Jo said...

You must be able to find a good source of cheap bicarb where you live. I'm not sure that this extender would be a great deal cheaper than my usual half quantity of dishwashing powder/tablet - bought on special offer. I shall bear your recipe in mind in case I come across cheap bicarb so thank you : )

MasterpieceMom said...

I like the Biokleen dishwashing powder. I mix one third of this with 2/3 of the baking powder and it works great. I used to make my own but always had a film. I think it depends on your water as well.

From The Homesteading Cottage said...

We've been making our own for several years with great success. It's very similar to Jessi's recipe...

Equal parts borax and baking soda with several drops of lemon essential oil. To keep things sparkling we also add white vinegar to the rinse compartment. It keeps the dish washer clean, not to mention our dishes (: We only use 1 tablespoon and it lasts forever!