This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Sunday, June 10, 2012

What They Live

By: Notes From The Frugal Trenches


























My Children

:: Couldn't tell you the last time they watched tv, but can tell you what they planted in our community garden

:: Have no clue what the latest gadgets or toys are, but can list books and board games we love to read and play

:: Don't know what a play station, gameboy, or Wii is, but can tell you tale after tale about dolphins

:: Won't sit for hours in front of a screen, but spend hours putting together puzzles

:: Aren't sure of the real names of all the shops we visit, but can tell you the names of all the shop owners and what fairtrade items they sell

:: Haven't yet figured out the politics behind big corporations, but can articulate why we boycott certain shops in very simple terms - "they aren't kind to their workers" is usually suffice.

:: Politely listen to hurried tales of weekend busyness from peers, teachers and friends, but quietly whisper in my ear "Mama lets just be at home and sit under a tree"

:: May not yet be fluent readers, but love that their Mummy is in a bookclub

:: Graciously receive gifts, but find real joy in the making of the thank you card the second the gift is opened.

:: Know we have to watch pennies, but remind me each week to make sure our home has flowers.

:: Don't live in the country, but as of yesterday learned how to gently hold chickens

:: Don't eat meat, but love hanging out with pigs at the city farm!

7 comments:

Miriam said...

I grew up in a pretty "regular" family (meaning we had a TV) and spent 20 years teaching "regular" kids in "regular" schools. And now, having moved to a rural setting filled with "alternative" families raising their kids in "alternative" ways, I am gobsmacked by what I see. The family who lives next door has three young girls who are hands down the most charming, curious, bright, healthy, kind, creative kids I have ever met - they are being raised with no TV or computer games, with good food, with chores and collective work, with paint and crayons and fresh air. Like your kids! I am in awe of the possibilities for our world, with kids like these and like yours.

sl.tudor said...

I love my children to tell me their own stories..i love that they create little plays for me to watch..they sit and watch me sew or knit and ask all manner of questions..
I do have a tv but its very rarely on in fact my little one told me "its boring mummy,switch it off" so off it went and we did puzzles and painted leaves all day..
I would love to tach my children at home but feel pressure from others to send them to school,nursery etc..when deep down i don't want to.
We have spent today baking brownies,fruit cakes and ginger biscuits..and in between they played outside in lovely summer dresses and wellies lol..they played adventure girls..it was so wonderful to see them laid on the grass with a magnifying glass watching bugs and ants..then they fed the chickens with their dad..wonderful day..and no TV..just the radio in the back ground..
I wish it could be like this everyday..just us.
I know where your coming from..and i am amazed by you and your lovely children.
love
sara

sl.tudor said...

Thas supposed to read teach not tach
sara

claudia said...

I pictured your children in my mind as I read each of your statements about them. It is a beautiful picture!

claudia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liz said...

This post has stayed with me since I read it yesterday. I applaud the sentiments, and heartily wish all families lived like yours. But how? When children are very young, it is easier. School, choosing their own friends, becoming more independent - and having other family members who enjoy TV, computers and so forth - all have an impact. And when a child is an only child, the outdoor, free range stuff, while greatly enjoyed, is not always so exciting if mum is cooking lunch, dad is out and there's nobody else to play with. I wrestle with this often, and hope we are treading a middle ground with plenty of all the things you describe, but some less ideal elements too.

Tracey said...

That's beautiful. Part of me wishes I could say all of those things about my children, but then they wouldn't be "my children", they'd be yours. It does make me very proud to think of all the lovely things that my children do or don't do though.