This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Upcycling Pillow Slips

by Amanda of Live Life Simply

I made a couple of grocery totes from vintage pillow slips during the week. They were quick to sew up, use an entire pillow slip (no waste), are durable being double layered and roomy enough to fit plenty of farmers market goodies inside!



The pdf pattern for this tote can be found at Spiderwomanknits .It is a free tutorial and is very easy to follow. I did however make a small change to mine and I top stitched the edges of the handles.


I like that these bags are super simple, thrifty and green. I'm making more of these this week!


There are many more ways to upcycle pillow slips. I designed a pre-fold nappy last year from a flannel pillow slip and it is still going strong. I have also cut embroidered pillow slips down into a square shape and made them into simple cushion covers


Here are some more ideas for pillow slip upcycling that I am adding to my list!

Pillow slip into a:

Pretty top
Apron
Little Dress

There are plenty more ideas out there and I would love to hear if you have made something out of a vintage pillow slip too. I have a collection of slips waiting to be transformed into useful things!

Amanda x

11 comments:

Sadge said...

I did a tutorial for a half-apron out of a pillowcase, no waste, here on the Co-op blog a few years ago:
http://simple-green-frugal-co-op.blogspot.com/2009/11/make-pillowcase-apron.html

*Ulrike* said...

What a neat idea! I know my 81 year old neighbor has made some little girl dresses from them. Since we have no little granddaughters (all boys!) this would be perfect to make. I'll have to share the pattern with my neighbor. Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

One of my friends made an adorable skirt from one with pretty embroidery at the opening, simply by cutting off the sewn end and making a casing for elastic.

Amanda said...

I'll have a look at that, thanks Sadge!

Tracey said...

I made a pile of roll up grocery bags from pillow slips for Mother's day gifts. They were great, but sadly I didn't make enough to keep any myself. You've inspired me to thrift some more and make myself some :)

Anonymous said...

When I was little and our family moved to Oregon, funds were low. Mom bought me two school dresses and made an underslip from an old pillowcase. It was an A-line shape and so soft. Wish I could still fit in one of those.

brenda from ar

Liz said...

For smaller kids (under five or so) a pair of pillow cases makes a great pair of pants. I use a lot of reclaimed bed linen in my sewing, I make totes, doll's mei tai's, skirts and pants mostly.

allotmentadventureswithjean said...

Great idea Amanda.

Lisa said...

All great ideas! I have made a dress out of a pillowcase and also a set of coasters. I love those garish 60's -70's ones.

Karolis said...

Heh, interesting way to use pillow slips. Never thought of that. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I make smaller bags and use the bags to buy produce, grain, etc., from bulk bins.
Jenny