This blog will not be adding more posts but will remain open for you to access the information that will remain here.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Home Remedies

Posted by Bel

When I feel unwell, the last thing I want to do is make my way to a chemist or health food store to find some magical cure for my ills.  I want to eat, drink, take or do something here at home.  And rest!

I love hearing about other people's home remedies.  I had a cough recently and asked around about what to take to ease it.  I didn't go out for ages, so had to make do with what I had here.  My favourite 'cures' were: homegrown honey (by the teaspoonful and in hot water - with or without lemon and/or fresh ginger), essential oils to breathe more easily, keeping very warm - especially my feet, and lots of rest.  I wanted to make some chicken soup, or a spicy stir fry, but I just didn't have the energy to cook much so went with what the family were having...



And this week I had a headache.  Lavender oil and massage are my favourite headache cures.  And using accupressure on my hands and head always gives relief too!

Accupressure also relieves nausea for me, as does consuming anything containing ginger, and perppermint tea.

These remedies are as easy to have around as a box of pain killers or bottle of cough syrup from the pharmacy, but they are natural, inexpensive and generally without side effects.

When the winter ills and minor ailments strike - what do you reach for, to ease the symptoms?

4 comments:

Fleecenik Farm said...

When we have a cold in our house, I make an elderberry syrup with honey, ginger and cinnamon.

For bad chest congestion I burn some colts foot. Breathe the smoke and it will clear out stuffed noses and chests.

For headache...Feverfew tea with ginger.

Poison ivy...jewel weed salve.

africanaussie said...

I use all the remedies you talked about - plus for a sore throat I swear by liquorice tea.

Bel said...

africanaussie, I wonder if that is licorice root tea? I haven't seen it around...

Fleecenik Farm, our elderberry tends to flower and fruit when it's not cold season, I wonder if I can make the syrup and store it in the fridge. Or freeze the berries?

Thank you for your comments!

Liz said...

Lots of raw garlic when I feel a cold coming on. I cut it into slivers and swallow it whole like taking a capsule.