Wednesday, 25 March 2015

How to Enlarge a T-Shirt

by Nanna Chel of Going Grey and Slightly Green

 

Do you have some favourite T-shirts that have shrunk or that you have grown out of and you would really love to be able to get some more wear out of them? Why not enlarge them?

A few years ago I saw a really easy tutorial on a blog which showed how to enlarge a T-shirt by inserting panels of fabric into the side seams and when I was looking on Pinterest the other day, I came across that tutorial again and thought I would enlarge a few of my old T-shirts which had shrunk over the years :-) I had a look in my wardrobe but then remembered that I had de-cluttered it and had sent all my too-tight T-shirts off to have another life at the Op Shop. Blow!
 
 Then when I was de-cluttering the linen cupboard, I found all my old gym T-shirts in a bag as I had saved them for future use in case I wanted to make a rag rug out of them. I had plenty of them as I did 900 workouts over the years when I went to the gym. The one I decided to use wasn't pretty pink one like the one in the tutorial from Crafterhours. No problem, it was just a trial run anyway.


So...armed with cotton fabric for the insert and my trusty Singer scissors I cut right through the side seam and sleeve of the T-shirt. I was a bit confused by the instructions in the tutorial and thought I should just cut to the hem of the sleeve but decided that wasn't right so cut right through.
 

Then I measured the length I needed to cut for the insert. In the tutorial the insert in the sleeve is cut separately and joined to the side seam insert so I did the same.


Then the inserts are pinned to the right sides of the T-shirt and sewn...


...and VOILA! You end up with this.


 Sure it's not as figure-hugging as the one in the tutorial but seeing as I'm not 21 anymore I don't like clingy T-shirts and prefer to feel comfortable. I'm quite pleased with the result and might enlarge a few more T-shirts to make them wearable again.

What do you think? Isn't it a great idea?